From: Daniel Radetsky <dradetsky@gmail.com>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Adding a class to the auto-inserted <br> elements
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 15:23:44 -0700	[thread overview]

> But there is nothing wrong on Org side per se, right?

I don't think so. The fact that ox-html inserts a <br> there with no way
for me as the user to disable this, in my view, bad. It's not a totally
unreasonable default, but it shouldn't be required.

> The fact that some specific suggestion...

This is an example of "motivation"; a specific concrete use-case that
actually came for the user to demonstrate that the issue is not merely
theoretical.

> What would be the benefit of doing this beyond fixing your personal use
case?

Other users might also have the same use case. Either the specific thing
I'm trying to do, or just a need to generate <li> elements from headlines
without auto-inserting <br> elements for any other purpose.

> Also, you can always use p > a CSS selector. What's wrong with that?

As a user, I would like to be able to apply a css selector to the elements
in question

0. With extremely high confidence that I am selecting _only_ the specific

1. Without having to do much understanding of the way org generates html
exports, or much thinking in general.

It did turn out that in the case of my specific document (which was pretty
simple), the selector `ul.org-ul li br` did in fact select only those
elements. But was this guaranteed? Even for arbitrarily complex documents?
Maybe, but proving this requires way more thinking than makes sense to me.
Much easier to just tag those elements with a class. Especially since we
already add classes like `.org-ul`.