I just saw this discussion on /r/emacs and came here to share my thoughts. I have worked around this behavior for a while and think having an option to skip logging into the drawer would be useful. My own workflow that this behavior (bug?) currently affects is as follows (similar to the reddit thread): - use org-habit to track a weekly TODO list heading - use a capture template to log checkitem type entries into this heading Due to this quirk, the capture template logs into the drawer instead (matching the checkitem regex). I would consider this to be a bug, as I'm not sure if anyone would use a capture template to deliberately log into the LOGBOOK drawer. Additionally, if the LOGBOOK is empty, it does log to the correct place (i.e. the contents of the heading). Because the location varies based on the LOGBOOK being empty or not, I think it would be good to either have it always log into the LOGBOOK or not when capturing (specifically, the behavior of `org-capture-place-item`).