Thanks Kyle, After some fiddling, here is the solution I found that works fine with orgmode 9.x (from https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/ido-ubiquitous): (require 'ido-completing-read+) (ido-ubiquitous-mode 1) Now completion works smoothly (using ido-vertical) for refile (and everywhere else too). Cheers /jerome On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 10:39 PM Kyle Meyer wrote: > Hello, > > Jerome Gay writes: > > > Since I upgraded orgmode to 9.x, refile is no longer working with ido. > > According to http://orgmode.org/Changes.html, all options related to ido > > and iswitchb have been removed. It also mentions "Instead Org uses > regular > > functions, e.g., completion-read so as to let those libraries operate." > > > > However, being a recent vim-user-turned-emacs, I can't find how to setup > > ido (including ido-vertical) to work in orgmode 9.x the way it used to > work > > in 8.x > > I don't use ido, but I think you're looking for ido-ubiquitous: > https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/ido-ubiquitous > > I've quickly tested with > > (require 'ido-ubiquitous) > (ido-ubiquitous-mode 1) > > and refiling seems to go through ido fine. > > -- > Kyle >