* ist here a :post header arg for tangling?
@ 2021-01-01  1:08 George Mauer
From: George Mauer @ 2021-01-01  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'd like to run some code to post-process files after they are tangled. Is
there a header-arg for that?

* Re: ist here a :post header arg for tangling?
@ 2021-01-01 12:29 ` Immanuel Litzroth
From: Immanuel Litzroth @ 2021-01-01 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't think there is an arg for that. I have written a tangler that
reuses a lot
of the org-babel machinery and has a more flexible mechanism to decide what
to do with the tangled code -- I use it for example to not write a
tangled file if it
hasn't changed, meaning that it will not trigger recompile.
The project is private now but if you're interested I can give you access to it.
What exactly are you trying to do?
Immanuel

--
-- Researching the dual problem of finding the function that has a
given point as fixpoint.

* Re: ist here a :post header arg for tangling?
@ 2021-01-04 14:07   ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-01-04 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Immanuel Litzroth; +Cc: gmauer, emacs-orgmode

There's =org-babel-post-tangle-hook=, which AFAICT specifies hooks that
will be run with the tangled code in a temporary buffer. I couldn't find
much documentation nor examples, but it is mentioned at
https://orgmode.org/manual/Extracting-Source-Code.html#Hooks-3

--Diego

@ 2021-01-04 14:50     ` Immanuel Litzroth
From: Immanuel Litzroth @ 2021-01-04 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: gmauer, emacs-orgmode

There's that, but you're not gonna do much with that since it is
global to emacs. If you're brimming
with vigour you might achieve what you want by rebinding that each
time you tangle to do the correct
thing. Not much information is available in that hook, you get dropped
into a temp buffer containing the
result of tangling.
Immanuel

--

@ 2021-01-04 15:10       ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-01-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Immanuel Litzroth; +Cc: gmauer, emacs-orgmode

Agree. It should be possible to make the hook file-local, but still it's
not trivial to have good control over where and how the changes are made.

--Diego

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 3:51 PM Immanuel Litzroth <

@ 2021-01-04 15:28   ` George Mauer
From: George Mauer @ 2021-01-04 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Immanuel Litzroth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

So like I said, I would like to run some code to post-process files.
Nothing super-concrete, but a bunch of small use cases I've run into such as

- Running tests on every tangle
- Executing a code block in the same document and running tests after all
tangles
- Running a code-formatter such as prettierjs (or the python one which name
escapes me - autopep?) and potentially de-tangling back

I realize some of these things I could do with a file watcher, but not
really the ones that require modifying the document again

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 6:29 AM Immanuel Litzroth <

@ 2021-01-04 15:31         ` Immanuel Litzroth
From: Immanuel Litzroth @ 2021-01-04 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: gmauer, emacs-orgmode

Well I solved the problem by writing a tangler which can be configured
with tangle-config
you define a tangler by making a hash "language" -> tangle-hooks. The
tangle-hooks are
called at beginning of tangling, on each source block, on each
noweb-ref and at the end of
tangling. They receive the full source-block-info to do their work,
and in the case of noweb-references
they receive the full stack of sbi's that lead up to this noweb reference.

(tangled-buffer "Buffer that is being tangled")
 (name "Name of the code block")
 (tangle-file "Filename to tangle to")
 (properties "Properties of this block")
 (full-block "Text of the full block")
 (beg-block "Buffer pos of beginning of the block in the tangled buffer")
 (end-block "end of the block in the tangled buffer")
 (lang "language of the tangled buffer")
 (beg-lang "beginning of the language in the tangled buffer")
 (end-lang "end of the language in the tangled buffer")
 (switches "switches of this block")
 (beg-switches "begin of the switches in this block")
 (end-switches "end of the switches in this block")
 (header-args "header args of this block")
 (beg-header-args "buffer pos of header args beginning")
 (end-header-args "buffer pos of header args end")
 (body "body of the tangled block")
 (beg-body "buffer pos of the beginning of the body")
 (end-body "buffer pos of the end of the body"))

That way I can tangle a multi language org file and do the correct thing for
each of the language by defining functions of interest. It's quite
flexible, I'm
going to use it to do some aspect-oriented programming/tangling when I
find the time.
Immanuel

--

@ 2021-01-04 15:36           ` Immanuel Litzroth
From: Immanuel Litzroth @ 2021-01-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: gmauer, emacs-orgmode

Oh and I also made the tangling itself more flexible in that you can now
also choose to only tangle stuff going to a certain file. This is mainly to be
able to define an interactive command that tangles/reloads everything going
to the file under point.
Immanuel

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 4:31 PM Immanuel Litzroth

--

@ 2021-01-04 15:38         ` Immanuel Litzroth
From: Immanuel Litzroth @ 2021-01-04 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: gmauer, emacs-orgmode

I also seem to remember that the buffer you are dropped into after tangling
doesn't even have the correct major mode set.