Basic "I'm not too worried about it" level of security: stick it on a webserver using .htaccess to demand a password. Make that password halfway decent. Better option: export to PDF by either exporting to HTML or latex and then using that system's PDF export. Keep both PDF and original in a folder on Google drive or Dropbox that is shared only with those who need access. (No password needed at all so you won't have someone compromising you with a crap password) Best option: same thing but store those files in a respected password manager like 1password or keepass. Train your family to use the password manager. Use it as a vault for all sorts of "just in case, they should know" info. In theory, you could even automate things to work on a deadman's switch. Have a system that pings you via email, SMS, or another communications mechanism weekly. If you don't respond within a few days, it automatically shares the aforementioned files using gdrive, Dropbox, 1password, etc (not email though - email is not secure) On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 5:56 AM Marcin Borkowski wrote: > > On 2019-11-29, at 08:24, David Masterson wrote: > > > My use-case is this: > > > > I'd like to use Org to write up *all* the information about my family > > life (so to speak) including medical histories of my family, issues with > > the house, bank accounts, financial information, etc., so that my family > > has all the information to refer to when necessary in a (hopefully) > > well-structured form. Naturally, this is going to have a fair amount of > > really sensitive information. By carefully outlining the information, I > > can structure the sensitive information to be in key parts of the > > documents that I can then encrypt using org-crypt. > > > > That part is straightforward. The tricky part is that my family is not > > "Emacs literate" and, so, I'm thinking the best idea is to export the > > information from Org files to HTML files so that I can then present to > > them as a website. They are used to browsing the web, so this should be > > more natural to them. The problem that I'm looking for help with is how > > to deal with the encrypted information? Any suggestions? > > This is a very interesting and important question. I don't have any > advice, but I would very much like to hear what others have to say. > > While this does not answer your question (but is related): who is going > to have the password/passphrase? Have you considered using a secret > sharing scheme? > > Best, > > -- > Marcin Borkowski > http://mbork.pl > >