* Durations and time values combined with the clock table..
@ 2011-07-09 10:10 Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2011-07-09 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

Great work with the new functions allowing time calculations in the
spreadsheet! Just a few remarks.. The default format is MM:SS and hours have
to be qualified by using three positions HH:MM:SS.

Would it not be smart if the default for this calculations is the same as
the time-format for the clock table? There the default is HH:MM - i presume
due to the superfluity of seconds.

I do not really care which format is the default but being able to use the
time calculation on my org-mode-generated time-table, without having to
manually add :SS to each string, would be great..

And another question, negative time? I realize that this sounds strange from
a philosophical point of view... but being able to use minus in time-cells
would be neat.

As an example i've attached a dummy-timetable to this mail to illustrate my
point. Column 6 and Row 2, column 5 & 6 is generated by the time-function.

Clock summary at [2011-07-09 Sat 11:50]

| Headline     |     Time |        | Proj Δ | Task Δ |    Proj |
|--------------+----------+--------+--------+--------+---------|
| *Total time* | *359:50* |        |     10 |   -285 |    2:13 |
|--------------+----------+--------+--------+--------+---------|
| Project 1    |   287:55 |        |  05:00 |        |       0 |
| Task 1       |          | 239:50 |        |  10:00 | 4:09:50 |
| Task 2       |          |  48:05 |        |   -300 |   43:05 |
| Project 2    |    71:55 |        |  05:00 |        |       0 |
| Task 1       |          |  47:50 |        |  10:00 |   57:50 |
| Task 2       |          |  24:05 |        |  -5:00 |   29:05 |
#+TBLFM: $6=$3+$5;T::@2$4='(apply '+ '(@3..@8));T::@2$5=vsum(@3..@8);T::@2
$6=vsum(@3..@8);T

Also, summations over multiple columns or rows does not seem to be working
=/

Regards Gustav

* Re: Durations and time values combined with the clock table..
@ 2011-07-13  6:29 ` Daniel Bausch
From: Daniel Bausch @ 2011-07-13  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

I would like to bump this question as I am interested in a similar way.
I like to do independent (from normal time tracking) work time calculations to
get an overview of my overtime.  Of course, overtime can be negative.
Hierarchically summing up days and weeks is also a wish.  I think HH:MM is a
better default interpretation, too, as it would be consistent with the rest of
org-mode.  What would be nice is a keystroke than inserts the current time.
What about time calculations including dates?  (Should be optional and only be
a result, if non-dated time value is combined with a dated.)
 * non-dated   + non-dated = non-dated // normal time calculation
 * non-dated   - non-dated = non-dated // normal time calculation
 * dated       + non-dated = dated // interval addition
 * dated       - non-dated = dated // interval substraction
 * non-dated   + dated     = dated // interval addition (operands switched)
 * - non-dated + dated     = dated // interval substract (operands switched)
 * dated       - dated     = non-dated // get the time difference
 * non-dated   - dated     = non-sense // time difference not calculable
 * dated       + dated     = non-sense // maybe throw an #ERROR
 * scalar      * non-dated = non-dated // interval multiplication
 * non-dated   * scalar    = non-dated // interval multiplication
 * scalar      / non-dated = scalar    // datatype "per hour"
 * non-dated   / scalar    = non-dated // time share
So there has to be two different data types, I think.  Current time insert
would default to non-dated with C-u, it could insert a dated time value.
There could be some operator that converts from scalar to non-dated and back
(1:30 -> 1.5 ("h")).

Of course, only ideas, and sadly I currently have no time to look into it
myself ( because of the overtime ;-) ).

Best regards,
Daniel Bausch

@ 2011-07-24 16:44 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-24 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustav Wikström; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gustav,

Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:

> Would it not be smart if the default for this calculations is the
> same as the time-format for the clock table? There the default is
> HH:MM - i presume due to the superfluity of seconds.
>
> I do not really care which format is the default but being able to
> use the time calculation on my org-mode-generated time-table, without
> having to manually add :SS to each string, would be great..

Yes, you're right, this is now the case.

> And another question, negative time? I realize that this sounds
> strange from a philosophical point of view... but being able to use
> minus in time-cells would be neat.

You can also manipulate negative durations now.

 Bastien

* Re: Durations and time values combined with the clock table..
@ 2011-07-24 16:45   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-24 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bausch; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Bausch <DanielBausch@gmx.de> writes:

>  * non-dated   + non-dated = non-dated // normal time calculation
>  * non-dated   - non-dated = non-dated // normal time calculation
>  * dated       + non-dated = dated // interval addition
>  * dated       - non-dated = dated // interval substraction
>  * non-dated   + dated     = dated // interval addition (operands switched)
>  * - non-dated + dated     = dated // interval substract (operands switched)
>  * dated       - dated     = non-dated // get the time difference
>  * non-dated   - dated     = non-sense // time difference not calculable
>  * dated       + dated     = non-sense // maybe throw an #ERROR
>  * scalar      * non-dated = non-dated // interval multiplication
>  * non-dated   * scalar    = non-dated // interval multiplication
>  * scalar      / non-dated = scalar    // datatype "per hour"
>  * non-dated   / scalar    = non-dated // time share

That would be nice indeed.  If someone wants to hack in this direction,
please do!  I cannot dedicate too much time to this now.

 Bastien