Hi Juan: I just tried your ':' technique for Hyperbole button activation with Avy and it works well. But what is the advantage over just using Avy to jump to the button and then pressing {M-RET}. With your technique, you have to think about activating the button before you are there versus when you are on it, as you normally do. -- rsw On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 10:32 AM Juan Manuel MacĂ­as wrote: > Hi, Robert, > > Robert Weiner writes: > > > We do like avy and as you say, Hyperbole can work with it. We try to > > avoid requiring any non-builtin Emacs packages for Hyperbole. With a > > few, we support them optionally. Unless there is a strong use case > > for utilizing avy in certain ways, we would tend to leave that to > > others to extend Hyperbole but personally I just add it in and use its > > character and line navigation sometimes. Did you have any particular > > uses in mind? > > My use of the mouse within Emacs is practically nonexistent, and outside > of Emacs I have relegated the mouse to a few graphical applications such > as Gimp, Krita, Scribus, and little else. That's why I find avy > extremely handy for quickly navigating through text. By adding an action > to avy-dispatch-alist you can execute an arbitrary command once the > cursor has jumped to its target. For example, I have put this for > hyperbole in my init: > > (add-to-list 'avy-dispatch-alist '(?: . (lambda (pt) > (goto-char pt) > (hkey-either)))) > > Thus, the typical action to activate a 'far' hyperbole button would be: > > 1. Call avy and insert a letter; > > 2. When avy's hints are displayed in the screen, I hit the colon key ":" > and then the hint letter I want to go to (an implicit button, for > example). And at the moment the associated action of that button is > executed. > > For those of us who hardly use the mouse, it is really very practical, > and I think maybe mentioning that tip might be nice in the hyperbole > documentation. > > Best regards, > > Juan Manuel >