* Exporting latex without preamble
@ 2011-06-28 19:15 Rafael Calsaverini
From: Rafael Calsaverini @ 2011-06-28 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
is it possible to export an org file to latex with no preamble and no
\begin{document}?? I just needed to translate org-mode syntax to latex
syntax, with no other headers and preambles around the text. Is this
possible?

I tried to add a "clean" class to my .emacs like this:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
      '("clean"
         "
         [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
         [NO-PACKAGES]
         [NO-EXTRA]"
         ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
         ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
         ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
         ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
         ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}")))
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

But when I try to export this file:

* Test
** Test 1
   blablabla
** Test 2
   lorem ipsum blabla

I get this:

% Created 2011-06-28 Tue 16:13

\providecommand{\alert}[1]{\textbf{#1}}

\title{bla}
\author{Rafael S. Calsaverini}
\date{\today}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\vspace*{1cm}
\section{Test}
\label{sec-1}
\subsection{Test 1}
\label{sec-1-1}

   blablabla
\subsection{Test 2}
\label{sec-1-2}

   lorem ipsum blabla

\end{document}

Is there any option to turn the preamble off?

---
Rafael Calsaverini
Dep. de Física Geral, Sala 336
Instituto de Física - Universidade de São Paulo

rafael.calsaverini@gmail.com
http://stoa.usp.br/calsaverini/weblog
CEL: (11) 7525-6222
USP: (11) 3091-6803

* Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble
@ 2011-06-28 19:20 ` Rafael Calsaverini
From: Rafael Calsaverini @ 2011-06-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

* Re: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble
@ 2011-06-28 23:05   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-06-28 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Calsaverini; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rafael,

Rafael Calsaverini <rafael.calsaverini@gmail.com> writes:

> is it possible to export an org file to latex with no preamble and no
> \begin{document}??

Not at the moment.  Is it something you need regularily?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble
@ 2011-06-29 14:20     ` Rafael Calsaverini
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Rafael Calsaverini @ 2011-06-29 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

I was planning to use this to create an automated platform for writing
my PhD thesis.The plan was to use org to edit separate files
corresponding to the chapters of the thesis. Those chapters would then
be exported to latex and included (preferably by an automated tool) in
a master file that takes care of administrative boilerplate
(preambles, cover sheets, boring style configurations, etc, etc...).

The idea was to separate latex boilerplate from the text itself. I
must use all kinds of custom styles in latex to conform to my
university norms, and I wanted to start to write the text in a way
that was independent of this boilerplate and only care about it when I
must compile a "distribution version".

I guess I'll have to try to do this differently. What I really was
interested in doing is a "org-thesis" or "org-text-production"
package, in the spirit of "org-babel" or "org2blog". But I don't know
much of lisp to be honest (the only functional language I'm familiar
with is haskell). My original idea involved a huge makefile and some
python scripts, which seems to be a sub-optimal solution. I also
played a bit with using an org master file to include each chapters,
but I had some problems.

Anyway, if you have any kind of tip or suggestion about this, I'm
really interested! :D

Thanks,
---

@ 2011-06-29 16:28       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-06-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Calsaverini; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rafael,

thanks for the clear explanations!

Rafael Calsaverini <rafael.calsaverini@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyway, if you have any kind of tip or suggestion about this, I'm
> really interested! :D

Maybe you should have a look at section "11.4 Include files" of the
manuals: it's precisely design to tackle the problem you describe.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble
@ 2011-06-29 16:32         ` Rafael Calsaverini
From: Rafael Calsaverini @ 2011-06-29 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the tip!

If I succeed I'll post something in my blog and tell here.

---

@ 2011-06-29 16:57       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-06-29 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Calsaverini; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Aloha Rafael,

Is there a reason not to have everything in one .org file?  I find
Org-mode's ability to fold on headlines and to edit subtrees in indirect
buffers very convenient, even for long documents.  For my work, that
functionality has replaced LaTeX \include files.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "latex boilerplate" but you ought
to be able to map your University's custom styles to standard LaTeX
constructs in a way that makes the text you write easily portable to
other LaTeX style and class files later on.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble
@ 2011-06-29 17:05       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-06-29 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Calsaverini; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Hi Rafael,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Rafael Calsaverini
<rafael.calsaverini@gmail.com> wrote:
> The idea was to separate latex boilerplate from the text itself. I
> must use all kinds of custom styles in latex to conform to my
> university norms, and I wanted to start to write the text in a way
> that was independent of this boilerplate and only care about it when I
> must compile a "distribution version".

Arem't you using latex styles? I recently wrote my Master's thesis.
All I had to do to use my university style was put this in the header:

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[<options>]{thesisstyle}

This was followed by other thesis preamble related commands like my
adding my examining committee, copyright notice, approval date and so
on.

In the following text I used regular org syntax to write the body of
the thesis. I used babel latex src blocks for equations or multiple
figures under one caption (I use this to gain syntax highlighting,
plain latex with the text should also work fine.

I hope this helps.

PS: I am also thinking of writing a tutorial or "gotcha" page for a
document like this on Worg once I have some free time.

--
Suvayu

* Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX (was: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble)
@ 2011-06-29 20:35         ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-06-29 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Aloha Rafael,

Sorry, I thought you might as well be interested in my point of
view.

First: I am pretty new to Org-mode but I am using LaTeX a while now
and I am even teaching LaTeX to motivated beginners.

> Is there a reason not to have everything in one .org file?  I find
> Org-mode's ability to fold on headlines and to edit subtrees in indirect
> buffers very convenient, even for long documents.  For my work, that
> functionality has replaced LaTeX \include files.

I did not follow the thread here but I do think I get the idea that
you want to replace LaTeX with Org-mode and generate a PDF via
LaTeX/PDF-export functionality of Org-mode.

On the one hand, I do agree that (simple) PDF documents are written
very easily with Org-mode. But on the other hand you are going to
add just another layer. This means that you probably end up wanting
this LaTeX feature in Org-mode, that other handy LaTeX feature too
and so forth.

In my point of view, if you leave the basic stuff, you should stick
to LaTeX. And I do have good news to you: You are very fortune
because Emacs does have the IMHO most advanced editor support for
LaTeX: AucTeX (with all of its extensions like preview-latex and
RefTeX).

I plan to use Org-mode as an outline tool for larger documents,
where the basic structure evolves, keywords are moved from one part
to the other. But before I start to write the detailed document
content, I move to AucTeX, having the great possibilities for
writing documents that end up being great PDFs.

But this is just my point of view.

--
Karl Voit

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX (was: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble)
@ 2011-06-30  6:35           ` Thomas S. Dye
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-06-30  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Karl,

I agree that AucTeX is awesome.  I use it every day at work with much
pleasure.

I've been using Org-mode with the goal of creating reproducible
research, where the LaTeX output is just one part of the package.  In my
case, this is something that requires Org-mode for its ability to pass
results between code blocks written in different languages.  I can't do
these things in AucTeX.

At first, like you, I was suspicious of adding a layer between me and
LaTeX.  I was impatient with figuring out how to make the little things
work right.  I'm still not able to control LaTeX as finely as I'd like
from within Org-mode, but I've managed to close the gap sufficiently
that my last four publications were authored completely with Org-mode.
The one I'm working on now is Org-mode, too.  I'm really liking it as an
authoring environment.

All the best,
Tom

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>> Aloha Rafael,
>
> Sorry, I thought you might as well be interested in my point of
> view.
>
> First: I am pretty new to Org-mode but I am using LaTeX a while now
> and I am even teaching LaTeX to motivated beginners.
>
>> Is there a reason not to have everything in one .org file?  I find
>> Org-mode's ability to fold on headlines and to edit subtrees in indirect
>> buffers very convenient, even for long documents.  For my work, that
>> functionality has replaced LaTeX \include files.
>
> I did not follow the thread here but I do think I get the idea that
> you want to replace LaTeX with Org-mode and generate a PDF via
> LaTeX/PDF-export functionality of Org-mode.
>
> On the one hand, I do agree that (simple) PDF documents are written
> very easily with Org-mode. But on the other hand you are going to
> add just another layer. This means that you probably end up wanting
> this LaTeX feature in Org-mode, that other handy LaTeX feature too
> and so forth.
>
> In my point of view, if you leave the basic stuff, you should stick
> to LaTeX. And I do have good news to you: You are very fortune
> because Emacs does have the IMHO most advanced editor support for
> LaTeX: AucTeX (with all of its extensions like preview-latex and
> RefTeX).
>
> I plan to use Org-mode as an outline tool for larger documents,
> where the basic structure evolves, keywords are moved from one part
> to the other. But before I start to write the detailed document
> content, I move to AucTeX, having the great possibilities for
> writing documents that end up being great PDFs.
>
> But this is just my point of view.

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX (was: Fwd: Exporting latex without preamble)
@ 2011-06-30 15:30             ` chris.m.malone
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: chris.m.malone @ 2011-06-30 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

I've seen many of the examples you've added to the mailing list and worg. I
also enjoy using Org-mode for writing my own documents and webpages -
currently I'm using it to write my Ph.D. dissertation.

I'm curious how you work on Org-mode papers for publication with
collaborators? In particular, do all of your collaborators know and use
Org-mode themselves? Our current method is just to use ordinary LaTeX files
in a CVS repository for collaboration. I think it would be difficult to get
my collaborators to all use Org-mode - even though they all use emacs.
Org-mode has quite a bit of a learning curve that they probably don't have
the time or patience to learn currently.

Chris

@ 2011-06-30 17:04             ` Carsten Dominik
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-06-30 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

On 30.6.2011, at 08:35, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Aloha Karl,
>
> I agree that AucTeX is awesome.  I use it every day at work with much
> pleasure.
>
> I've been using Org-mode with the goal of creating reproducible
> research, where the LaTeX output is just one part of the package.  In my
> case, this is something that requires Org-mode for its ability to pass
> results between code blocks written in different languages.  I can't do
> these things in AucTeX.
>
> At first, like you, I was suspicious of adding a layer between me and
> LaTeX.  I was impatient with figuring out how to make the little things
> work right.  I'm still not able to control LaTeX as finely as I'd like
> from within Org-mode, but I've managed to close the gap sufficiently
> that my last four publications were authored completely with Org-mode.

Are these publicly accessible?  I think that would be a great advertisement
for Org as a publishing environment if you could link to source and paper....

- Carsten

@ 2011-06-30 17:18               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-06-30 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.m.malone; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Aloha Chris,

The only one I've written in Org-mode with collaborators was with some
fellow Org-mode users.  We shared the .org and .bib files in a git
repository.

I agree that the number of Org-mode users out there limits one's ability
to collaborate on projects written in Org-mode.

Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-06-30 17:23               ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found]               ` <CA+oe6vppaFbdzO_chuEL+WnUhEsmG4ZsnocLCaqSMVSQe6W8vg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-06-30 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

> On 30.6.2011, at 08:35, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>
>> Aloha Karl,
>>
>> I agree that AucTeX is awesome.  I use it every day at work with much
>> pleasure.
>>
>> I've been using Org-mode with the goal of creating reproducible
>> research, where the LaTeX output is just one part of the package.  In my
>> case, this is something that requires Org-mode for its ability to pass
>> results between code blocks written in different languages.  I can't do
>> these things in AucTeX.
>>
>> At first, like you, I was suspicious of adding a layer between me and
>> LaTeX.  I was impatient with figuring out how to make the little things
>> work right.  I'm still not able to control LaTeX as finely as I'd like
>> from within Org-mode, but I've managed to close the gap sufficiently
>> that my last four publications were authored completely with Org-mode.
>
> Are these publicly accessible?  I think that would be a great advertisement
> for Org as a publishing environment if you could link to source and paper....
>
> - Carsten

Aloha Carsten,

Soon, I hope.  I have to make them run as emacs batches first, a new
thing for me.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-06-30 18:03             ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2011-06-30 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

Would you be willing to share your set-up for using LaTeX with org?
That would be fantastic :-)

Cheers
Markus

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-06-30 18:11               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-06-30 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.m.malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

chris.m.malone@gmail.com writes:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I've seen many of the examples you've added to the mailing list and
> worg. I also enjoy using Org-mode for writing my own documents and
> webpages -
> currently I'm using it to write my Ph.D. dissertation.
>
> I'm curious how you work on Org-mode papers for publication with
> collaborators? In particular, do all of your collaborators know and
> use Org-mode themselves? Our current method is just to use ordinary
> LaTeX files in a CVS repository for collaboration. I think it would be
> difficult to get my collaborators to all use Org-mode - even though
> they all use emacs. Org-mode has quite a bit of a learning curve that
> they probably don't have the time or patience to learn currently.
>
> Chris

What I do, when I am the lead on a multi-author document, is give my
colleagues the org file directly (but often renamed as .txt for those on
Windows...) and ask them to ignore all the special controls there might
be in the file.  When collaborating on a paper, the key contributions is
the content, not the formatting, so there's usually no problem.  I do
tell them about *bold* and *italic* but that's usually about it.

In fact, I find that I get better collaboration this way because often,
with Word documents, people end up formatting paragraphs etc along the
way causing all kinds of difficulties for the final formatting!

I often send a PDF along with the org just to reassure them that the
paper will look good but that's mostly for non-latex users who have
difficulties separating content from formatting... ;-)

Last year I prepared a quite complex 40+ page document (lists, images,
footnotes, bibliography) with 20 co-authors using the approach described
above and it went very well.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.511.g2b7d)

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-07-01  2:58               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-07-01  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Markus,

Yes, will do.  I'm not sure it is fantastic, though.  Most (all?) of it
is in the LaTeX export tutorial on Worg.

I need to clean up .emacs first so I can isolate it all in an
initialization file that works with emacs -q.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Collaborating with other people (was: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX)
@ 2011-07-01 11:10               ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-07-01 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* chris.m.malone@gmail.com <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious how you work on Org-mode papers for publication with
> collaborators? In particular, do all of your collaborators know and use
> Org-mode themselves? Our current method is just to use ordinary LaTeX files
> in a CVS repository for collaboration.

CVS is very ... old if not ancient.

For collaboration with LaTeX documents I am using SVN[1] as a
centralized version control system (VCS) if my collaborators are not
tech savvy. There are lots of handy tools available like [2] that
made it possible to convince any ordinary user from using SVN.

If I am working with tech savvy people, I tend to use git [3]
instead. It is a *decentralized* VCS with much more possibilities
and it is a bit harder to learn. But if you are familiar with git,
you get advantages from offline commits, partial commits, and very
good internal merging capabilities that solve most of the LaTeX
integration process automatically.

  1. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Subversion_(software)
  2. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/TortoiseSVN
  3. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Git_(software)
--
Karl Voit

* Re: Collaborating with other people (was: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX)
@ 2011-07-01 11:47                 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-07-01 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Karl Voit <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:

> * chris.m.malone@gmail.com <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious how you work on Org-mode papers for publication with
> > collaborators? In particular, do all of your collaborators know and use
> > Org-mode themselves? Our current method is just to use ordinary LaTeX
> files
> > in a CVS repository for collaboration.
>
> CVS is very ... old if not ancient.
>
> For collaboration with LaTeX documents I am using SVN[1] as a
> centralized version control system (VCS) if my collaborators are not
> tech savvy. There are lots of handy tools available like [2] that
> made it possible to convince any ordinary user from using SVN.
>
> If I am working with tech savvy people, I tend to use git [3]
> instead. It is a *decentralized* VCS with much more possibilities
> and it is a bit harder to learn. But if you are familiar with git,
> you get advantages from offline commits, partial commits, and very
> good internal merging capabilities that solve most of the LaTeX
> integration process automatically.
>
>  1. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Subversion_(software)
>  2. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/TortoiseSVN
>  3. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Git_(software)

Just to add from the Linux side:

 http://www.rabbitvcs.org/

very similar to TortoiseSVN - also works for git.

Rainer

> --
> Karl Voit

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Collaborating with other people (was: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX)
@ 2011-07-01 14:46                   ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-07-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the information about VCS's.  I agree CVS is outdated, but
we use it mostly for legacy reasons --- all of our codebase is in CVS
along with papers going back many years.  For my other projects, I use
git or mercurial as a VCS.

My question was originally more oriented toward handling Org-mode
files with collaborators who don't use Org-mode, regardless of the
VCS.  Those collaborators are only comfortable modifying the LaTeX
document itself, and checking in changes to the LaTeX document won't
update the Org-mode file.

There have already been a few good suggestions, but if others have
some system worked out, please chime in :).

Chris

@ 2011-07-12 19:07               ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found]               ` <CA+oe6vppaFbdzO_chuEL+WnUhEsmG4ZsnocLCaqSMVSQe6W8vg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-07-12 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

> On 30.6.2011, at 08:35, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>
>> Aloha Karl,
>>
>> I agree that AucTeX is awesome.  I use it every day at work with much
>> pleasure.
>>
>> I've been using Org-mode with the goal of creating reproducible
>> research, where the LaTeX output is just one part of the package.  In my
>> case, this is something that requires Org-mode for its ability to pass
>> results between code blocks written in different languages.  I can't do
>> these things in AucTeX.
>>
>> At first, like you, I was suspicious of adding a layer between me and
>> LaTeX.  I was impatient with figuring out how to make the little things
>> work right.  I'm still not able to control LaTeX as finely as I'd like
>> from within Org-mode, but I've managed to close the gap sufficiently
>> that my last four publications were authored completely with Org-mode.
>
> Are these publicly accessible?  I think that would be a great advertisement
> for Org as a publishing environment if you could link to source and paper....
>
> - Carsten

Aloha Carsten,

The first of what I hope will be three public reproducible
research papers written in Org-mode is now at
https://tsdye@github.com/tsdye/hawaii-colonization.git

This is a fairly simple example.  The Org-mode file depends only on R
source code blocks.  The same paper probably could have been implemented
in Sweave (which I haven't used).

Much of the analysis was carried out with a web-based software tool for
calibrating radiocarbon dates called BCal.  BCal lacks a batch mode
facility and can't be called directly from the Org-mode file, AFAIK.
The maintainers of the BCal software came up with a way to share my BCal
project files, so my archaeological colleagues have access to all my
work. BCal output is included in the git repo as csv files.

I've pushed up an entry on Worg, which should appear the next time Worg
is updated
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/uses.html

Most of the RR framework for this project (README, Makfile, etc.) is a
"port" of materials developed by Eric Schulte, who graciously reviewed
my work (and discovered errors and omissions).

I'll be happy for comments from the Org-mode community.  I'm interested
to see how fully it is possible to realize the potential of reproducible
research (and believe very strongly that Org-mode is the best way to do
so).

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-07-12 22:00                 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-07-12 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Thomas,

Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> The first of what I hope will be three public reproducible
> research papers written in Org-mode is now at
> https://tsdye-9UaJU3cA/F/QT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/tsdye/hawaii-colonization.git

I get a 404 error (page not found) when clicking on this!?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-07-12 22:12                   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-07-12 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> > The first of what I hope will be three public reproducible
> > research papers written in Org-mode is now at
> > https://tsdye@github.com/tsdye/hawaii-colonization.git
>
> I get a 404 error (page not found) when clicking on this!?

Try visiting https://github.com/tsdye/ and

   git clone https://github.com/tsdye/hawaii-colonization.git

Nick

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-07-12 22:16                   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-07-12 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> The first of what I hope will be three public reproducible
>> research papers written in Org-mode is now at
>> https://tsdye@github.com/tsdye/hawaii-colonization.git
>
> I get a 404 error (page not found) when clicking on this!?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Arggh.

https://github.com/tsdye/hawaii-colonization

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org-mode as a replacement for LaTeX
@ 2011-07-12 22:45                     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-12 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Thomas,

Wow. That's nice. Great work. In looking at the setup.. I have a lot
to learn about what org/emacs can do.

Thanks for sharing,
John

@ 2011-07-13  7:28                     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-07-13  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> > The first of what I hope will be three public reproducible
>> > research papers written in Org-mode is now at
>> > https://tsdye-9UaJU3cA/F/QT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/tsdye/hawaii-colonization.git
>>
>> I get a 404 error (page not found) when clicking on this!?
>
> Try visiting https://github.com/tsdye/ and
>
>    git clone https://github.com/tsdye/hawaii-colonization.git

Of course!!! I should stop playing with Org so late at night ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban