From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: Hsiu-Khuern Tang <tangoh@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Export a Subtree to an other .org file
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:50:19 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Hsiu-Khuern Tang <tangoh@gmail.com> wrote:
> * On Wed 03:35PM, 03 Apr 2013, John Hendy (jw.hendy@gmail.com) wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Steve Prud'Homme <sprudhom@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Message :
>> > No command associated with key  ^S
>> >

>> Bastien's response was for the new exporter and your C-e 1 command
>> indicates you're not using that version yet. I'm on the new exporter,
>> so I can't recall what old options looked like, but from the manual
>> could you try ASCII?
>> - http://orgmode.org/manual/ASCII_002fLatin_002d1_002fUTF_002d8-export.html#ASCII_002fLatin_002d1_002fUTF_002d8-export
>>
>> Perhaps you could just export that to a buffer and then save as *.org
>> instead of the default export format of .txt?
>
> I think the ascii export does not produce a file in Org format.

You're right -- sorry about that; had never tried it. I'm curious
about a use case for this? Is it just that it's faster than this
combo:

#+begin_quote  http://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-editing.html
C-c C-x M-w     (org-copy-subtree)Copy subtree to kill ring. With a
numeric prefix argument N, copy the N sequential subtrees.

C-c C-x C-y     (org-paste-subtree)Yank subtree from kill ring. This
does modify the level of the subtree to make sure the tree fits in
nicely at the yank position. The yank level can also be specified with
a numeric prefix argument, or by yanking after a headline marker like
‘****’.
#+end_quote

I can also see advantages in not having to C-x C-f to a new file
before yanking and just being able to "send" the subtree to a
generated file specified with an :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: property in the
tree (though from the manual, that looks only to apply to ODT,
DocBook, and LaTeX).

Best regards,
John