* refile and link
@ 2012-01-31 18:49 Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2012-01-31 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

I would like to have a quick way to refile subtrees in another file
while creating a link to the new location. In my use case, I keep a
comprehensive list of projects in Projects.org. Each top level
headline is the title of a project. Some projects details (TODOs,
notes, etc.) may be included under the headline. A project may grow to
the point that I want to manage it within a separate org file. In this
case it would be fantastic to have a quick refile command that leaves
behind the original headline and a link to the new location. Does this
make sense? Maybe I should be using agendas to accomplish what I want.
But keeping a canonical list of projects in a single file seems like
the right thing to do.

--
skip collins

* Re: refile and link
@ 2012-02-01 15:25 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to have a quick way to refile subtrees in another file
> while creating a link to the new location. In my use case, I keep a
> comprehensive list of projects in Projects.org. Each top level
> headline is the title of a project. Some projects details (TODOs,
> notes, etc.) may be included under the headline. A project may grow to
> the point that I want to manage it within a separate org file. In this
> case it would be fantastic to have a quick refile command that leaves
> behind the original headline and a link to the new location. Does this
> make sense? Maybe I should be using agendas to accomplish what I want.
> But keeping a canonical list of projects in a single file seems like
> the right thing to do.

Makes sense and seems really neat. This could even be used to fulfill
a suggested organization structure from the orgmode FAQ:

,----- (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#how-to-organize-org-mode-files):-----
| Should I use one big org file or multiple files?
| [...]
| Here are a few ideas for organizing org-mode files:
| [...]
| - A wiki of hyperlinked files that grows and adapts to meet your needs.
`-----

I hope you get a solution!

John

> --
> skip collins

* Re: refile and link
@ 2012-02-01 15:54   ` Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2012-02-01 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> | - A wiki of hyperlinked files that grows and adapts to meet your needs.

After I sent my request, it occurred to me that the envisioned refile
command could create two links, one in the original file pointing to
the destination, the other in the destination file pointing to the
original.

* Re: refile and link
@ 2012-02-01 17:58     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> | - A wiki of hyperlinked files that grows and adapts to meet your needs.
>
> After I sent my request, it occurred to me that the envisioned refile
> command could create two links, one in the original file pointing to
> the destination, the other in the destination file pointing to the
> original.

Indeed -- that would be slick. I wish my elisp-fu was strong, or even existent.