* property with multiple values, or suggestions for a course planning system
       [not found] <2033281615.7374702.1374471018405.JavaMail.root@jaguar7.sfu.ca>
@ 2013-07-22  6:03 ` Kel Chan
From: Kel Chan @ 2013-07-22  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi list,

disclaimer: new to org and emacs.

question: How can I associate more than one value to a property?

I'm implementing a course planning tool b/c the one provided by my university sucks.

Ideally, each course offered is a second level heading with a property "offering" with multiple possible values: fall, spring, odd spring, even summer, etc. And similar to "offering", each heading also have "prereq" and "designation" property.

I would like to create a sparse-tree by searching for some property to view a tree of courses and plan accordingly. The problem is that each property can only have one value.

Is property the best way to implement this system? If not, can you suggest something else?

Thanks,
kel

* Re: property with multiple values, or suggestions for a course planning system
@ 2013-07-22  7:57   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-07-22  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kel Chan <ktc7@sfu.ca> writes:

Hi,

> disclaimer: new to org and emacs.
>
> question: How can I associate more than one value to a property?
>
> I'm implementing a course planning tool b/c the one provided by my
> university sucks.
>
> Ideally, each course offered is a second level heading with a property
> "offering" with multiple possible values: fall, spring, odd spring,
> even summer, etc. And similar to "offering", each heading also have
> "prereq" and "designation" property.
>
> I would like to create a sparse-tree by searching for some property to
> view a tree of courses and plan accordingly. The problem is that each
> property can only have one value.
>
> Is property the best way to implement this system? If not, can you
> suggest something else?

There are multi-value properties in Org-mode and an API exists with
related functions get, put, add, remove and member-in.

,------------------------------------------------------
| http://orgmode.org/manual/Using-the-property-API.html
`------------------------------------------------------

So you should be able to have a property "offering" with more than one
season, and build a sparse tree by checking if the season at hand is
member in that property.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: property with multiple values, or suggestions for a course planning system
@ 2013-07-22 13:13   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-07-22 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kel Chan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode