From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: ". ." <mapcdi@me.com>, emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: fold paragraphs, export only contents of a node, hiding the 'node heading text'
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:10:50 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM, <mapcdi@me.com> wrote:

> It works all right!
> I had org version 7.9 which seems the current 'bundled' version for Emacs,
> which I recently installed (being a newbie, as I am, for Emacs/Org-mode). I
> updated via
>  M-x package-install RET org
> as in http://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation
>

> and now I have 8.0.7. I compiled with your .emacs/.org example files,
> except I needed to add:
>
> (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/usr/texbin"))
>     (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/texbin")))
>
> or it wouldn't compile the PDF,
> and there's the output: success!
>

> So, I will start tinkering myself with some settings like:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/39227/no-indent-in-the-first-paragraph-in-a-section
>

> By the way, do you know how I could eliminate my needed line,  in my
> .emacs:
> (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/usr/texbin"))
>     (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/texbin")))
> by way of setting things to a default setting so I don't need to update my
> path every time via .emacs.

What purpose are these for? Is this just pointing to your TeX/LaTeX
installation? It would help to know your install method for LaTeX. For
example, I use TexLive. It would seem that if you need to tell emacs
specifically where these live, then they aren't in your system path. Can
you compile a .tex file manually from the command line?

You should, for example, be able to export to LaTeX via Org-mode for the
test.org file above, then open a command line and do `pdflatex test.tex`
and get a .pdf. If you get an error about the command not being found, you
still don't have a properly setup LaTeX distribution on your system.

Glad it's getting you in the right direction!
John