* Latex export of longtable with multiline heading
@ 2013-04-06  2:40 Simon Guest
From: Simon Guest @ 2013-04-06  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Dear Org-mode people,

I have an Org mode document containing a longtable, which has its
heading row split over two lines.  Exporting this to Latex doesn't work.

Here's a really small example (for which I wouldn't need longtable,
but you get the point):

#+ATTR_LaTeX: longtable align=|r|r|
|-------+---------|
| First |     Age |
| Name  | (years) |
|-------+---------|
| Bob   |       6 |
| Dave  |       7 |
| Wendy |       9 |
|-------+---------|

The PDF document is missing the first line of the header.  Looking at
the Latex file which is generated, there appear to be too many
(i.e. 2) instances of \endhead (but I'm no expert on longtables in
Latex).

It's important that I get this working, or find a work-around.

Any suggestions?

cheers,
Simon

* Re: Latex export of longtable with multiline heading
@ 2013-04-06 18:07 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Guest; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Simon Guest <simon.guest@tesujimath.org> wrote:
> Dear Org-mode people,
>
> I have an Org mode document containing a longtable, which has its
> heading row split over two lines.  Exporting this to Latex doesn't work.

What's the output of =M-x org-version= ?

If it's > 7.9.4f, you're on the new exporter, and syntax has changed.

> Here's a really small example (for which I wouldn't need longtable,
> but you get the point):
>
> #+ATTR_LaTeX: longtable align=|r|r|
> |-------+---------|
> | First |     Age |
> | Name  | (years) |
> |-------+---------|
> | Bob   |       6 |
> | Dave  |       7 |
> | Wendy |       9 |
> |-------+---------|

Try this:

#+ATTR_LaTeX: :environment longtable :align |r|r|

> The PDF document is missing the first line of the header.  Looking at
> the Latex file which is generated, there appear to be too many
> (i.e. 2) instances of \endhead (but I'm no expert on longtables in
> Latex).

Your example with the #+attr_latex line above gives this:

#+begin_src latex
\begin{longtable}{|r|r|}
\toprule
First & Age\\
Name & (years)\\
\midrule
\endhead
#+end_src

Keep in mind I'm using booktabs, so instead of \[top/mid]rule, you'd
get \hline with a default setup. Things look decent to me in the
output.

If you're on the "old exporter," see here for upgrading:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html

Good luck!
John

@ 2013-04-07  2:39   ` Simon Guest
From: Simon Guest @ 2013-04-07  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-org list

At Sat, 6 Apr 2013 13:07:03 -0500,
John Hendy wrote:

> What's the output of =M-x org-version= ?

Hi John,

I was using 7.9.2.  Following your suggestions, I upgraded to 8.0-pre,
and switched to the new syntax for selecting longtable.  It's all
perfect now, thanks, very much appreciated!

cheers,
Simon