I'm not sure that emacs is the best tool to e.g. generate a template png file of a given size and given background, or a svg file. I still don't feel that any of the proposed solutions solves the file:foo.svg edit scenario, where foo.svg does not exist yet. Also I would rather differentiate between opening a few for viewing and opening a file for editing, as e.g. eog and inkview are good for viewing, whereas gimp and inkscape are better for editing. Regards, Dov On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:32, Bastien wrote: > Hi Dov, > > Jambunathan K writes: > > >> have a a new command org-edit-file that would: > >> > >> If the file does not exist, copy a skeleton file to the filename > >> or generate the skeleton file by an emacs-function or by calling > >> an external application. > > Such a functionality belongs to Emacs itself rather than Org-mode. > Are you aware of existing templating facilities? > > http://emacs-template.sourceforge.net/ > > >> Call the configured editor application on the new file. > >> If invoked with Ctrl-u , allow the user to specify what editor to > >> run on the file, e.g. inkscape, or killustrator on svg files. > >> > >> Does something like this already exists? > > > > Start from C-h f org-open-file. > > Indeed! > > Best, > > -- > Bastien >