I would also like to thank you for this great article and org-mode in general. I learned a few things about variables and chaining that I did not know about. Since I discovered org-mode, I have come to rely upon it as my extended memory for professional as well as domestic ideas and problems that I encounter. I keep one big notes.org file in which my first level headlines is the current date, and my second order headline usually contains a "Done/Todo" which is a checklist of things that I have to do. I also love the embedded code (though I wish it was possible to syntax highlight it!), external links, and tables. Thanks again! Dov On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 18:18, Thomas S. Dye wrote: > Aloha Christian, > > Thanks for your comments. It is great to have feedback. > > Christian Wittern writes: > > > I think this is an excellent article, introducing an aspect of > > org-mode, which I think fills a gap that no other software I know of > > comes even close to approach. I already started mentioning it in > > conversations and am sure it will be very useful to many members of > > the academic community. > > > > Just to make sure I could answer any follow up questions, I downloaded > > the replication bundle and started installing the dependencies. I > > encountered a few problems and hope this is the right place to discuss > > them. BTW, I am working with this on a Mac OS X 10.6 machine. > > > > Most of the dependencies I already had or installed them from > > macports. One problem I encountered was with installing the RSQLite > > package. Executing the installation command from the README file did > > not work because of permission issues, the command needs to run with > > superuser rights. Is it possible to give these rights to commands run > > from babel? Since I did not find a way to do that, I installed from > > the R commandline, where I found that the name of the package is > > RSQLite, not 'RSQlite' as given in the readme file. > > > > The one dependency I could not solve was the 'dot' executable. I > > assume this is an interpreter for the dot language, for which it seems > > the program on the Mac is named graphviz. However, I am not sure how > > to make that work with org/babel. Should I simply symlink to > > graphviz? Or is there a babel variable to be set? This is a point > > that probably needs some explanation, at least for Mac users (I > > realize that the articel might not have been intended as such a > > general introduction with details for all common OSses, but it would > > be nice if this can be gradually supplemented). > > > > One last remark; since this is an online publication, I think using > > proper fontification for the examples and org source code would be > > even more appealing, especially for people who encounter org for the > > first time. > > Could you be more specific here? It might be obvious to others, but I > don't understand what you mean by "proper fontification." > > All the best, > Tom > > > > > Keep up the excellent work!! > > > > Christian > > > > > > > > On 2012-01-27 23:43, Eric Schulte wrote: > >> Hopefully this will serve as the canonical introduction to working with > >> code blocks in Org-mode. > >> > >> As we acknowledge in the paper this work would not have been possible > >> without the ideas and feedback of the Org-mode community, so thanks all! > >> > >> Nick Dokos writes: > >> > >>> Andreas Leha wrote: > >>> > >>>> Hi all, > >>>> > >>>> this just came into my inbox: > >>>> http://www.jstatsoft.org/v46/i03 > >>>> > >>>> Great work! Big thanks to the authors. > >>>> > >>> I remember reading it with great pleasure back when Eric posted it to > >>> the list: beautiful stuff. I look forward to rereading it. > >>> > >>> Congratulations! > >>> > >>> Nick > >>> > >>> > > -- > Thomas S. Dye > http://www.tsdye.com > >