I just thought of an idea that I wonder if someone has implemented. While writing my journal I find myself wanting to insert a graphics file, e.g. a svg file and I write *file:foo.svg* . After having written the name I enter inkscape to create the contents of the file. To do that I have to run inkscape manually and eventually doing saveas and navigate to the correct directory to save the file. So my idea is to have a a new command org-edit-file that would: - If the file does not exist, copy a skeleton file to the filename or generate the skeleton file by an emacs-function or by calling an external application. - Call the configured editor application on the new file. - If invoked with Ctrl-u , allow the user to specify what editor to run on the file, e.g. inkscape, or killustrator on svg files. Does something like this already exists? Regards, Dov