From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr>
Subject: Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 08:47:56 +0200	[thread overview]

On Aug 3, 2010, at 6:27 PM, Bastien wrote:

> "David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://github.com/dto/folio/blob/master/camel.el
>>
>> Someone asked about this recently, i have some partially working
>> code.
>
> I'm willing to test.
>
> Can you provide the handlers so that the code works for Org?
>
> I'm not a big fan of CamelCase links because it encourages the habit
> of
> creating many files -- but that may be useful for some.

I am not a big fan of CamelCase for two reasons:

1. as Bastien says, to creates many small files.  Org does work
    with a number of files - I think it is less than perfect for a very
    large number of files.  If you want to create many files, David
O'Toole's
    implementation might work for you - also it is not limited to Org
files.

2. Using CamelCase does encourage to write stuff in strange, hard to
    read syntax which conflicts with some words or names that should not
    be spelled like this, and which also does not look very good on
export.
    THis is why most wikis have either stepped away from CamelCase, or
added
    additional syntax, for example with brackets.

In fact, for Org mode, it seems more natural to use outline nodes for
the
structure of a wiki, not files.  Russel Adams suggested this in another
thread:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27442/focus=27465

With the change I just made to make [[..]] links match exact headlines
and
to offer headline creation when no match is found, I do find it simple
enough to type [[My Heading]] or [[file:xyz.org::My Heading]]

I have toyed with CamelCase in the past though.  And since there seems
to be at least some interest, I have just wrapped this code into a
contributed package and linked it properly into the hyperlink and
export mechanisms in Org.  The modules is called org-wikinodes.el
and it is documented here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-wikinodes.php

- Carsten