From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net>
Cc: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>, rpgoldman@sift.info
Subject: Re: Re: OrgmodeOrg-export-generic and wikis...
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:14:27 +0200	[thread overview]

On Apr 29, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> RG> 1. Would it be reasonable to move the documentation for
> RG> org-export-generic into the contrib/ directory of org-mode?  It
> RG> seems ... suboptimal to have this package be maintained in the org
> RG> git repo, but its documentation in the worg git repo.  At least
> from
> RG> my PoV this raises the bar for keeping the documentation up-to-
> date
> RG> and synchronized to a pretty high level.
>
> I'll let Carsten answer questions like that ;-)

The reason for this is the following.

Many of the contributed packages where written by people who were active
in Org-mode for a while and then less so.  Many of these package had no
documentation at all.  So I started a page on WOrg where this
documentation can be added and edited by other users, with quite
some success - now most package do have documentation.

Keeping documentation for a contributed package the the org-repo would
be OK, but there would be no mechanism to automatically put the latest
version up on on the web.

Changing this would require a volunteer who commits to keep the
documentation
of contributed packages in a consistent and web-publishable way in the
contrib directory.

- Carsten

> RG> 2. Is the existing "handle each line separately" algorithm going
> RG> permit us to handle faces correctly?  Seems like we'll need a
> lot of
> RG> hair to handle, e.g., a phrase in italics that straddles a line-
> break,
> RG> won't we?
>
> Well, that's a good question and one I don't have a great answer for.
> We could switch the parser to be multi-line based regexp matches but I
> suspect the complexity of when to stop those regexps will get rather
> harry too!
> --
> Wes Hardaker
> My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/