Thanks Jeff! Of course, the missing install file was the problem. I guess org mode has evolved considerably since the last time I looked at the manual... Scott On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Jeff Horn wrote: > Do you have org-install.el in your init file? > > On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Scott Otterson > wrote: > > When I start emacs and then edit an org file, ascii export fails (M-x > > org-export [return key] a). No export file is created and I see the > > following message: > > Autoloading failed to define function org-export-as-ascii > > But if I type: > > M-x org-customize > > then export works. The other way I can get this to work is to manually > load > > org-ascii.el (which came with the org mode distribution). > > This is with org-mode version 7.5. > > Scott > > > > > > > > -- > Jeffrey Horn > http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/ >