* Odd behavior with numbered list, footnotes, and LaTeX
@ 2011-04-06 17:48 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-06 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Just stumbled across something very odd I can't figure out. Here's a sample:
,-----
| #+latex_class: article
|
| * Section
| 1. *A section*: a bunch of text is here and it seems like the
footnote is doing
|   something odd. [fn:1] More text here.
| 2. *A section*: a bunch of text is here and it seems like the
footnote is doing
|  something odd.
|
| * Footnotes
| [fn:1] www.google.com
`-----

It seems that the footnote triggers LaTeX to end the enumerate
environment early for some reason. Not only that, but it seems to be
inserting \end{enumerate} *inside* the footnote:
,-----
| \begin{enumerate}
| \item \textbf{A section}: a bunch of text is here and it seems like
the footnote is doing
|   something odd. \footnote{www.google.com
| \end{enumerate}
| } More text here.
|
| \begin{enumerate}
| \item \textbf{A section}: a bunch of text is here and it seems like
the footnote is doing
|   something odd.
| \end{enumerate}
`-----

If I remove the footnote, it works fine. With the current export, this
amounts to a PDF with the first item not indented and numbered "1" and
the second indented but also numbered "1".

If I add a footnote to the second item, I get both not indented, both
numbered "1", and the second item reads like this in the PDF:
,-----
| 1. Instrumental rationality: a bunch of text is here and it seems like the
| footnote is doing something odd. 2 ORG-LIST-END-MARKER
`---

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

* Re: Odd behavior with numbered list, footnotes, and LaTeX
@ 2011-04-06 18:33 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-04-06 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Just stumbled across something very odd I can't figure out. Here's a sample:
> ,-----
> | #+latex_class: article
> |
> | * Section
> | 1. *A section*: a bunch of text is here and it seems like the
> footnote is doing
> |   something odd. [fn:1] More text here.
> | 2. *A section*: a bunch of text is here and it seems like the
> footnote is doing
> |  something odd.
> |
> | * Footnotes
> | [fn:1] www.google.com
> `-----
>
> It seems that the footnote triggers LaTeX to end the enumerate
> environment early for some reason. Not only that, but it seems to be
> inserting \end{enumerate} *inside* the footnote:
> ,-----
> | \begin{enumerate}
> | \item \textbf{A section}: a bunch of text is here and it seems like
> the footnote is doing
> |   something odd. \footnote{www.google.com
> | \end{enumerate}
> | } More text here.
> |
> | \begin{enumerate}
> | \item \textbf{A section}: a bunch of text is here and it seems like
> the footnote is doing
> |   something odd.
> | \end{enumerate}
> `-----
>
> Any suggestions?

This has been discussed in a recent thread, and I submitted a patch for
that problem. I'm still waiting for feedback before applying it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Odd behavior with numbered list, footnotes, and LaTeX
@ 2011-04-07  4:36   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-07  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Just stumbled across something very odd I can't figure out. Here's a sample:
>> ,-----
>> | #+latex_class: article
>> |
>> | * Section
>> | 1. *A section*: a bunch of text is here and it seems like the
>> footnote is doing
>> |   something odd. [fn:1] More text here.
>> | 2. *A section*: a bunch of text is here and it seems like the
>> footnote is doing
>> |  something odd.
>> |
>> | * Footnotes
>> | [fn:1] www.google.com
>> `-----
>>
>> It seems that the footnote triggers LaTeX to end the enumerate
>> environment early for some reason. Not only that, but it seems to be
>> inserting \end{enumerate} *inside* the footnote:
>> ,-----
>> | \begin{enumerate}
>> | \item \textbf{A section}: a bunch of text is here and it seems like
>> the footnote is doing
>> |   something odd. \footnote{www.google.com
>> | \end{enumerate}
>> | } More text here.
>> |
>> | \begin{enumerate}
>> | \item \textbf{A section}: a bunch of text is here and it seems like
>> the footnote is doing
>> |   something odd.
>> | \end{enumerate}
>> `-----
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> This has been discussed in a recent thread, and I submitted a patch for
> that problem. I'm still waiting for feedback before applying it.

Whoops on missing that... though I hope it gets fixed. I hadn't
updated one of my computers in a few months and know it wasn't giving
the bad behavior on there, so a change must have goofed something.

Thanks for the patch and info.

John

@ 2011-04-09 11:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-04-09 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Just stumbled across something very odd I can't figure out. Here's a sample:
>>> ,-----

>>> footnote is doing
>>> footnote is doing

>>> `-----
>>>
>>> It seems that the footnote triggers LaTeX to end the enumerate
>>> environment early for some reason. Not only that, but it seems to be
>>> inserting \end{enumerate} *inside* the footnote:
>>> ,-----
>>> the footnote is doing

>>> the footnote is doing
>>> `-----
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> This has been discussed in a recent thread, and I submitted a patch for
>> that problem. I'm still waiting for feedback before applying it.
>>

> Whoops on missing that... though I hope it gets fixed. I hadn't
> updated one of my computers in a few months and know it wasn't giving
> the bad behavior on there, so a change must have goofed something.

I've pushed the patch. I tried it on your example and it seems to behave
correctly. Though, do not hesitate to report back if any problem arises.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Odd behavior with numbered list, footnotes, and LaTeX
@ 2011-04-09 17:08       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-09 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This has been discussed in a recent thread, and I submitted a patch for
>>> that problem. I'm still waiting for feedback before applying it.
>>>

>> Whoops on missing that... though I hope it gets fixed. I hadn't
>> updated one of my computers in a few months and know it wasn't giving
>> the bad behavior on there, so a change must have goofed something.
>
> I've pushed the patch. I tried it on your example and it seems to behave
> correctly. Though, do not hesitate to report back if any problem arises.

Yay! Flawless victory (well, for this simple example).

Many thanks,
John