* Highlighting Sparse Tree Leaves
@ 2008-02-14 23:36 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-14 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Is it possible to highlighting only the sparse tree leaves, or even
better, highlighting the whole sparse tree but with leaves in a special
face?

The motivation for such a feature is this:

Suppose I have a task tree like this:

* TODO Task A
*** TODO Task A.1
***** TODO Task A.1.1
* TODO Task B
*** TODO Task B.1
***** TODO Task B.1.1
***** TODO Task B.1.2

If I do a "org-sparse-tree", all those lines are highlighted, giving an
impression that I have a lot of open tasks, but in reality I only have
three tasks: A.1.1, B.1.1 and B.1.2, as the higher level tasks are
automatically done if those are done. So it would be nice to highlight
those leaves in a special face. Also, suppose both B.1.1 and B.1.2 are
done, then Task B.1 should be highlighted as a leaf.

Hope the above makes some sense. Thank you very much for giving it a
thought.

Wanrong

* Re: Highlighting Sparse Tree Leaves
@ 2008-02-18 11:18 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-18 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Wanrong,

No, I think you need to find a different way around this.
For example by using a different keyword for the headings that contain
the true TODO items.  I use PROJECT or something similar.
When you then search for TODO, the true tasks will be highlighted.

- Carsten

@ 2008-02-18 15:19   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-18 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Using "PROJECT" as a TODO keyword certainly can work, however, my work
flow usually is first quickly mark anything that needs action with
"TODO" and later I may add more sub-items to it. Following this approach
I will need to remember to change "TODO" to "PROJECT" once a TODO item
starts to have sub-items. Also, if all sub-actions of a "PROJECT" are
marked as "DONE", I need to remember to turn the "PROJECT" back to
"TODO", as I need the sparse tree to remind me to double check this
TODO/PROJECT item to see whether it is really all done, or I need to add
more sub-actions to it (and turn it back to "PROJECT" again).

As you can see, that is a lot of manually actions and mistakes can be
easily made. Maybe my workflow has some problem here, but I can not
think of anything else that works better. The difficulty to me is, an
item can be either PROJECT or TODO depending on how detailed your plan
is, which keeps changing.

I think if we can have the *option* of selecting a different face for
highlighting sparse tree leaves, the above can be solved elegantly. You
can still see the whole sparse tree, but the leaves will stand out.

Just trying to push my case a little bit. :-)   Thanks a lot.

Wanrong

@ 2008-02-21 16:42     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 18, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> Using "PROJECT" as a TODO keyword certainly can work, however, my
> work flow usually is first quickly mark anything that needs action
> with "TODO" and later I may add more sub-items to it. Following this
> approach I will need to remember to change "TODO" to "PROJECT" once
> a TODO item starts to have sub-items. Also, if all sub-actions of a
> "PROJECT" are marked as "DONE", I need to remember to turn the
> "PROJECT" back to "TODO", as I need the sparse tree to remind me to
> double check this TODO/PROJECT item to see whether it is really all
> done, or I need to add more sub-actions to it (and turn it back to
> "PROJECT" again).
>
> As you can see, that is a lot of manually actions and mistakes can
> be easily made. Maybe my workflow has some problem here, but I can
> not think of anything else that works better. The difficulty to me
> is, an item can be either PROJECT or TODO depending on how detailed
> your plan is, which keeps changing.
>
> I think if we can have the *option* of selecting a different face
> for highlighting sparse tree leaves, the above can be solved
> elegantly. You can still see the whole sparse tree, but the leaves
> will stand out.
>
> Just trying to push my case a little bit. :-)   Thanks a lot.

That is fine, but it does not work in this case... :-(

- Carsten

@ 2008-02-21 22:53       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-21 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Carsten,

I hacked a patch that does what I need. Just in case you change your
mind in the future, or anyone else has the same need as I, here is the
patch (against org.el in 5.22a. I did not get time to learn git yet).
Thanks.

Wanrong

--------------------------------

15082c15082,15085
<         (org-highlight-new-match (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)))
---
 >         ;; <WL: changed to highlight sparse tree leaves>
 >         (if (and org-highlight-sparse-tree-leaf (not
(org-has-match-in-subtree-p regexp)))
 >             (org-highlight-new-match (match-beginning 0) (match-end
0) 'org-sparse-tree-leaf)
 >           (org-highlight-new-match (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0))))
15141,15145c15144,15149
< (defun org-highlight-new-match (beg end)
<   "Highlight from BEG to END and mark the highlight is an occur headline."
<   (let ((ov (org-make-overlay beg end)))
<     (org-overlay-put ov 'face 'secondary-selection)
<     (push ov org-occur-highlights)))
---
 > ;;;; <WL> replaced with my own version to support highlighting sparse
tree leaves
 > ;; (defun org-highlight-new-match (beg end)
 > ;;   "Highlight from BEG to END and mark the highlight is an occur
headline."
 > ;;   (let ((ov (org-make-overlay beg end)))
 > ;;     (org-overlay-put ov 'face 'secondary-selection)
 > ;;     (push ov org-occur-highlights)))
28233a28238,28265
 > ;;;;;; <WL> my own extension to org to show sparse tree leaves in
different face ;;;;;

 > ;; highlighting sparse tree leaves
 >
 > ;; <WL>
 > (defvar org-highlight-sparse-tree-leaf t
 >   "Whether to highlight sparse tree leaves")
 > (defface org-sparse-tree-leaf '((t (:background "#cdb38b")))
 >   "Face for highlighting sparse tree leaves.")
 >
 > ;; <WL: changed for highlighting sparse tree leaves>
 > (defun org-highlight-new-match (beg end &optional highlight-face)
 >   "Highlight from BEG to END and mark the highlight is an occur
headline."
 >   (let ((ov (org-make-overlay beg end)))
 >     (if highlight-face
 >         (org-overlay-put ov 'face highlight-face)
 >       (org-overlay-put ov 'face 'secondary-selection))
 >     (push ov org-occur-highlights)))
 >
 > ;; <WL: for highlighting sparse tree leaves>
 > (defun org-has-match-in-subtree-p(regexp)
 >   "Returns non-nil if there is a match for regexp in current subtree."
 >   (save-match-data
 >     (save-excursion
 >       (let ((beg (point)) (end-of-tree (org-end-of-subtree t)))
 >         (goto-char beg)
 >         (re-search-forward regexp end-of-tree t)))))

28240d28271
<

@ 2008-02-22  7:07         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-22  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Wanrong, thanks for the code. It looks good, I will put it into
my trickler to reconsider a some time in the future.

- Carsten