* cdlatex, previewing LaTeX, and dollar signs
@ 2010-07-14 17:55 Mike Benfield
From: Mike Benfield @ 2010-07-14 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

org-cdlatex-mode subverts cdlatex's normal behavior
 in that it doesn't give dollar signs when they're not there.
And on the other hand, org-preview-latex-fragment only displays
rendered LaTeX when the dollar signs are there. I don't know
what other people's usage pattern is, but I read my notes in
emacs with the LaTeX rendered, so I never write LaTeX
outside of dollar signs because that is useless to me.

Could one or the other of these behaviors change?

For me, the ideal situation would be for org-preview-latex-fragment
 to work even when dollar signs aren't present, so that for instance
 \int_a^b f would render \int_a^b as LaTeX math and leave f alone.
(By the way, right now such an expression renders correctly when
 exporting to HTML but not when exporting to LaTeX.)

* Re: cdlatex, previewing LaTeX, and dollar signs
@ 2010-07-14 18:41 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-14 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Benfield; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:55 PM, Mike Benfield wrote:

> org-cdlatex-mode subverts cdlatex's normal behavior
> in that it doesn't give dollar signs when they're not there.
> And on the other hand, org-preview-latex-fragment only displays
> rendered LaTeX when the dollar signs are there. I don't know
> what other people's usage pattern is, but I read my notes in
> emacs with the LaTeX rendered, so I never write LaTeX
> outside of dollar signs because that is useless to me.
>
> Could one or the other of these behaviors change?
>
> For me, the ideal situation would be for org-preview-latex-fragment
> to work even when dollar signs aren't present,

This would be very difficult to achieve.  But note that you can part
of it
by setting

    (setq org-pretty-entities t)

This will give UTF8 display of many math symbols - imperfect
though for your example....

To get dollars from org-cdlatex-mode, you could cheat by setting

(setq org-cdlatex-texmathp-advice-is-done t)

very early in .emacs, before any Org mode stuff gets loaded....

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2010-07-15 14:15   ` Michael Benfield
From: Michael Benfield @ 2010-07-15 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> This would be very difficult to achieve.  But note that you can part of it
> by setting
>
>   (setq org-pretty-entities t)

Thanks; I was using an older org-mode and hadn't looked at this. This
is great, except... my Emacs apparently ignores the raise display
specification, so subscripts and superscripts don't work. Oh well.

Mike