* Can I archive into datetree based on CLOSED date property
@ 2011-02-20 10:28 Urs Rau (UK)
From: Urs Rau (UK) @ 2011-02-20 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi
I would quite like to have a function that would work on a region , or on a whole org file of todos and archive completed todos or a selected region into a datetree in the archive file in such a way that all completed todo items would be filed under the date on which their property says they were completed or closed.
Maybe it can already do it and I just need to learn how?
Thanks for pointers or counter suggestions.

Regards

--
Urs Rau

* Re: Can I archive into datetree based on CLOSED date property
@ 2011-02-20 10:55 ` Puneeth Chaganti
       [not found]   ` <36678C5F-9B2E-42FF-8CDF-A45D3A14A336@uk.om.org>
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-02-20 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urs Rau (UK); +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Urs Rau (UK) <urs.rau@om.org> wrote:
> Hi
> I would quite like to have a function that would work on a region , or on a whole org file of todos and archive completed todos or a selected region into a datetree in the archive file in such a way that all completed todo items would be filed under the date on which their property says they were completed or closed.
> Maybe it can already do it and I just need to learn how?

Worg has a hack [1] by Osamu Okanu, that modifies the
org-archive-subtree function to archive into a datetree. Combining
this with the org-map-entries function, you should be able to achieve
what you want.

Hope this helps,
Puneeth

[1] - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-1_3_2

@ 2011-02-21  8:12     ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-02-21  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urs Rau (UK); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Urs Rau (UK) <urs.rau@om.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 20 Feb 2011, at 10:55, Puneeth Chaganti wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Urs Rau (UK) <urs.rau@om.org> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I would quite like to have a function that would work on a region , or on a whole org file of todos and archive completed todos or a selected region into a datetree in the archive file in such a way that all completed todo items would be filed under the date on which their property says they were completed or closed.
>>> Maybe it can already do it and I just need to learn how?
>>
>> Worg has a hack [1] by Osamu Okanu, that modifies the
>> org-archive-subtree function to archive into a datetree. Combining
>> this with the org-map-entries function, you should be able to achieve
>> what you want.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Puneeth
>>

> Thanks. I am no elisp coder so this is likely beyond me. How hard would this be to do in elisp?
>
> I guess the line of code from Osamu Okanu to ammend would be:
>
> (let* ((dct (decode-time (org-current-time)))
>
> and somehow get it to read the "CLOSED" date property where Osamu's code has "org-current-time"?
>
> And then I have to somehow call up 'org-map-entries' function to process all completed todo items.
>
> Is there a function that already knows what my actual 'completed' org-todo-keywords items out of the full custom list of my 'org-todo-keywords' are?

I've tried [1] to modify Osamu's defadvice to do what you want.  It
almost does what you want, except that I have not been able to
properly set the `org-map-continue-from' variable. (  May be someone
else can help. )

With the present function, you have to run the `org-map-entries'
function multiple times, until all your items have been archived.

Hope this helps,
Puneeth

[1] - https://gist.github.com/836799

ps: Please CC the list also, when replying to this email.