On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote: > Hi Jason, > > from your description it is not really clear to me what your setup is. > > > On Jul 12, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Jason Guiditta wrote: > > Hello, apologies if these questions are documented somewhere (in fact, I >> bet they are, just haven't been able to find them). I am a newcomer to both >> orgmode and emacs in general, so I am still on the steep side of the >> learning curve. I have spent several days poking around the documentation, >> watching some screencasts, looking at gmane, etc with no success solving my >> issue, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction. >> >> The group I work with is using orgmode to track tasks for our projects. >> This is currently in one big file (with various tags) that has at the >> bottom a dynamic table >> > > What do you mean by "dynamic table"? Can you show us the relevant section > of the file? > > Hi Carsten, sure, here is the wrapping chunk of code (sorry I used the wrong word, from page 69 of the manual, what I meant to say was 'Dynamic Block'): #+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 3 :id 85c58add-2c45-48d5-bff3-6b4cd4f5e20 #+TBLFM: #+END: Hope that makes the rest of my question more clear, thanks for the response! -j - Carsten > > that we periodically export to html and put up on a server for easier >> viewing of the current state of tasks. We store this project file in a git >> repo. I have been asked to do two major things and two minor (at least in >> importance) things to streamline this. >> >> == Major == >> 1. Move this dynamic table out into its own file to reduce the size of the >> main project file (I am not the only one in the group not that familiar with >> emacs --yet). >> 2. Have this table be updated/exported automatically when saving the >> project file. >> >> From what I have seen, dynamic tables are meant to just be another view of >> the data in a given file, so I am wondering if this is even the right >> approach. The update/export seems likely to be some org-mode post-save >> command. If this is the case, guess I'll have to figure out how to write >> some elisp :-/ >> >> == Minor == >> 1. After automatically updating/exporting the table file, upload that to >> our server as well. >> 2. Commit the file to git from the buffer (pretty sure this is just a >> matter of using the git mode I have seen mentioned, but thought I'd throw it >> out there in case there is another suggestion). >> >> Hopefully these questions are reasonable and I haven't missed obvious >> directions on how to do these things. I appreciate any assistance from >> members of the list. (Also, really liking orgmode/emacs in general so far, >> fwiw). >> >> Thanks, >> >> -j >> _______________________________________________ >> Emacs-orgmode mailing list >> Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. >> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org >> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode >> > > - Carsten > > > >