Thanks. I opened up ob-sql.el and read the code to see if I can figure it out. I think I have answered my first question. I wrote the following and hit C-c C-c and I got the result set back. #+srcname: sampsql #+begin_src sql :engine mysql :cmdline -h hostname -u username -pmypass -D dbname select * from tablename; #+end_src regarding my 2nd question (reading orgtables), I am thinking that one can't read orgtables in the same way as you read a db table. But you can use an org table to extract data snippets to pass as variables to a sql or build a dynamic sql. Is my understanding correct? I was also experimenting on passing variables. I modified the above example as shown below but I did not get any results #+srcname: sampsql #+begin_src sql :engine mysql :cmdline -h hostname -u username -pmypass -D dbname :var table="tablename" select * from $table; #+end_src On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Bastien wrote: > Hi Yesare, > > I'm not familiar enough with Babel to give you useful guidance, > but others on the list may help you. > > yesare writes: > > > I am trying to do two things. > > > > > > 1. Query a mysql or oracle table and post results in orgtable format > > 2. Select data from an existing orgtable in current buffer and do > > further processing with them (example: insert them into Oracle). > > > > I am sorry if this is vague but I am just looking for some initial > > guidance on how to get around. > > Can you post the code your tried? What you expected? What happened > instead? This will help people to know where and why you're stuck. > > Thanks! > > -- > Bastien >