* Integrate APPTs with OSX
@ 2010-07-14 16:41 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-14 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey list!

Is there a way to integrate org-mode APPT's (emacs APPT system) to
show the reminders using growl or another OSX-like GUI feature? Has
anyone ever done it before?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Integrate APPTs with OSX
@ 2010-07-14 17:20 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-07-14 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to integrate org-mode APPT's (emacs APPT system) to
> show the reminders using growl or another OSX-like GUI feature? Has
> anyone ever done it before?

If you can get to the feature through the command line, it should be
easy. Look in the FAQ, section "Appointments/Diary", title "How can I
set up automatic reminders based on Org information?" for a pointer to
an old post of mine that uses a simple python script for the GUI features.
There have been similar solutions proposed using zenity and some other more
mainstream things, including one using the Gnome OSD facility (I forget what
it's called). They are all essentially the same, so it should be easy
to adapt them to your purposes. Russell Adams pulled a lot of this information
together into a post:

         http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/5664/focus=5806

and the whole thread might be useful.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Integrate APPTs with OSX
@ 2010-07-14 17:23 ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-14 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:41:58AM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Is there a way to integrate org-mode APPT's (emacs APPT system) to
> show the reminders using growl or another OSX-like GUI feature? Has
> anyone ever done it before?

There is this post for using gnome zenity for APPT:

   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php#sec-3

Then there is growlnotify shell command for calling Growl, and there
is an elisp wrapper if you feel like it (google for something like
growl.el or growlnotify.el).

Replace the zenity part in the first link for growl and it should be
mostly done.

Saludos,
.j.

* Re: Integrate APPTs with OSX