* MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
@ 2010-05-28  9:05 Sven Bretfeld
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-05-28  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi to all, hi Matthew

I had a look at matburt's Github today and found the new 0.4alpha-build.
Now, MobOrg4And supports the capturing of notes. That's what I was
waiting for all the time. I can say that Note capturing works on my HTC
Magic, albeit I had little time so far to test it more than once or
twice.

I just wanted to say thank you very much!

Note taking is rudimentary at the moment. As far as I can see, you have
to type todo-keywords, tags and active timestamps manually. But that
doesn't matter too much at the moment. The current alternatives (RTM,
Toodledo) have similar inconveniences. However, in MobOrg4And we are in
our familiar org-syntax, so /everything/ can be done without complex awk/sed
operations after syncing.

@Matthew: Do you have some kind of roadmap published anywhere?

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
@ 2010-05-28 18:05 ` Enrico Indiogine
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Enrico Indiogine @ 2010-05-28 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Greetings!

2010/5/28 Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch>:
> I had a look at matburt's Github today and found the new 0.4alpha-build.
> Now, MobOrg4And supports the capturing of notes. That's what I was
> waiting for all the time. I can say that Note capturing works on my HTC
> Magic, albeit I had little time so far to test it more than once or
> twice.

I am a new Android user.  I have a Sony-Ericsson Xperia X10 from
Rogers.  I do not really like the interface, but that is off-topic,
but sure I would love to put a recent generic version of android on
it.

Anyway, I would like to install MobileOrg for Android.  I know how to
install apps from the Android Market using the phone directly.  I do
not know how to install apps using Github.  I have looked for
instructions but have not been able to find them.

I use Linux Ubuntu 10.04 as computer OS.

Thanks,

Henri-Paul

----
Mathematics Education
Texas A&M University

Email: hindiogine@gmail.com
Skype: hindiogine
Website: http://www.coe.tamu.edu/~enrico

"Rien ne va de soi.  Rien n'est donné. Tous est construit."   Gaston
Bachelard, 1934

* Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
@ 2010-05-28 18:27 ` julien cubizolles
From: julien cubizolles @ 2010-05-28 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 à 11:05 +0200, Sven Bretfeld a écrit :
> Hi to all, hi Matthew
>
> I can say that Note capturing works on my HTC
> Magic,
Working also on my LG GW620, however the SAVE Button gets hidden by the on-screen keyboard.
I think I've seen other android apps keeping some buttons visible
whether the keyboard is or isn't displayed.

> I just wanted to say thank you very much!
So do I, this project is progressing nicely !

Julien.

* Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
@ 2010-05-28 18:29   ` julien cubizolles
From: julien cubizolles @ 2010-05-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 à 11:05 -0700, Enrico Indiogine a écrit :
> Greetings!

> Anyway, I would like to install MobileOrg for Android.  I know how to
> install apps from the Android Market using the phone directly.  I do
> not know how to install apps using Github.  I have looked for
> instructions but have not been able to find them.

You first need to install, from the market, apkInstaller.
You then download a .apk file from
http://wiki.github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/ and copy it on the
phone, and choose it from apkInstaller.

Julien.

* Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
@ 2010-05-28 18:40 ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-05-28 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Sven, thanks for the wonderful feedback.  MobileOrg Android does attach a
timestamp to the note (similar to what the iphone version does, just below
the headline) but anything else you want as part of the heading you do have
to type manually.

I haven't yet published a roadmap because I've been on this frenetic pace to
try to get close to feature parity with the iPhone version.   I'm currently
working on giving you the ability to change TODO states... this is a bit of
a challenge because of how I store each of the org files.   Richard's iPhone
version actually reads the contents of the file into a database (I think?
 Or at least... some other data structure) which lends itself well to the
org-mobile-push model where an updated heading just gets pushed into the
mobileorg.org file.    When I wrote my implementation I had not fully
grasped that concept yet so I just store the file and parse it on-demand as
you drill down into your file's contents.   In order to support editing
files and changing TODO states, I need to switch to Richard's model of
storing the components that make up the file instead of trying to parse it
on-demand.

Once I have this finished I plan to release the Beta, and at the same time
push the application into the Android Market (still free and open source,
mind you) as well as release comprehensive documentation.   I think (hope)
that I can put the information on Richard's site dedicated to his version of
MobileOrg and have his documentation be valid and easily understood for both
version.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-05-28 18:43   ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-05-28 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico Indiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Go to:  Settings -> Applications -> Application settings -> check "allow
installation of non-Market applications"

then browse to the github wiki page with your phone's browser, click on and
download the apk, when it is through downloading just tap the file and it
should start the install.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-05-30 16:21   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-05-30 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

julien cubizolles <j.cubizolles <at> free.fr> writes:

> Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 à 11:05 +0200, Sven Bretfeld a écrit :
> > Hi to all, hi Matthew
> >
> > I can say that Note capturing works on my HTC
> > Magic,
> Working also on my LG GW620, however the SAVE Button gets hidden by the
on-screen keyboard.
> I think I've seen other android apps keeping some buttons visible
> whether the keyboard is or isn't displayed.

If I might comment --- one of the worst things about Android applications, IMO,
is the way they are confusing about whether menus should be displayed in page,
or invoked by the menu button.

I'd urge you to avoid the on-page display in favor of the menu button.  If you
stick to that the user never needs to remember to scroll down to find the
controls and there are just too many ways for the on-page display to be rendered
either hard to reach or completely inaccessible.  This problem is made worse
(especially by contrast with the iPhone) because you don't have full knowledge
of the screen dimensions.

So I'd suggest that if a button is important (save, send, schedule, etc.) that
you make it reachable by the center menu button.

HtH,
cheers,

* Re: Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
@ 2010-05-30 23:33     ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-05-30 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

With regard to the note capture display, I'm not sure how I feel about
this... I like having the save button on the page because it reduces the
number of clicks to save the note which can be huge if you are just trying
to quickly jot something down.   I do, however, need to fix it so that the
Save button is always visible.    The thing about this particular Activity
display is that the text box is always fixed to some percentage of the
display... so that the save button would never be off the page but rather
the Text box would scroll if you had too much text in it.   I may consider
adding the save button to a menu once I add more options to the Capture
screen (like adding a TODO flag, or Tags) but I think it's most intuitive if
the save button is on the display.... mainly because you can't miss it, some
things about Android happen in the background so that if you navigate away
from the page it automatically saves the contents... but that's not how this
capture page works (and I don't know that I would want it to automatically
save if you hit the back button) this allows it to fit into the workflow and
makes it obvious that you have to hit the save button to accomplish the save
action.     These are just my thoughts.   As I bake out the Capture system I
will certainly revisit it if the flow works better to have it under the
'Menu' action.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info>wrote:

> julien cubizolles <j.cubizolles <at> free.fr> writes:
>

> > Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 à 11:05 +0200, Sven Bretfeld a écrit :
> > > Hi to all, hi Matthew
> > >
> > > I can say that Note capturing works on my HTC
> > > Magic,
> > Working also on my LG GW620, however the SAVE Button gets hidden by the
> on-screen keyboard.
> > I think I've seen other android apps keeping some buttons visible
> > whether the keyboard is or isn't displayed.
>
> If I might comment --- one of the worst things about Android applications,
> IMO,
> is the way they are confusing about whether menus should be displayed in
> page,
> or invoked by the menu button.
>
> I'd urge you to avoid the on-page display in favor of the menu button.  If
> you
> stick to that the user never needs to remember to scroll down to find the
> controls and there are just too many ways for the on-page display to be
> rendered
> either hard to reach or completely inaccessible.  This problem is made
> worse
> (especially by contrast with the iPhone) because you don't have full
> knowledge
> of the screen dimensions.
>
> So I'd suggest that if a button is important (save, send, schedule, etc.)
> that
> you make it reachable by the center menu button.
>
> HtH,
> cheers,

* Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-31  5:46 ` Enrico Indiogine
From: Enrico Indiogine @ 2010-05-31  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Dear org users:

Thanks to the help from you all I managed to install the latest
development version of org-mobile-android on my Xperia X10.  I set up
my .emacs for stage push-pull and have a mydisk.se account with an org
directory.

M-x push will fail with an ssh timeout.  I think it has to do with the
fact that Emacs has no way of knowing the mydisk.se password.

This in in my .emacs:

(setq org-mobile-files (quote ("~/org/agenda.org")))
(setq org-mobile-directory "~/stage/")
(add-hook 'org-mobile-post-push-hook
  (lambda () (shell-command "scp -r ~/stage/* hindiogine@mydisk.se:org/")))
(add-hook ' org-mobile-pre-pull-hook
  (lambda () (shell-command "scp hindiogine@mydisk.se:org/mobile.org
~/stage ")))
(add-hook 'org-mobile-post-pull-hook
  (lambda () (shell-command "scp ~/stage/mobileorg.org
hindiogine@mydisk.se:org]/")))

Is this code block correct and where do I specify my mydisk.se password?

Thanks,

Henri-Paul Indiogine

Curriculum & Instruction

@ 2010-05-31  7:05   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-05-31  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico Indiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Enrico

Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks to the help from you all I managed to install the latest
> development version of org-mobile-android on my Xperia X10.  I set up
> my .emacs for stage push-pull and have a mydisk.se account with an org
> directory.
>
> M-x push will fail with an ssh timeout.  I think it has to do with the
> fact that Emacs has no way of knowing the mydisk.se password.

Try another approach. You are under Ubuntu, aren't you? I'm also under
Ubuntu and I use mydisk.se. So this should also work for you:

1. sudo apt-get install davfs2

2. sudo adduser enrico davfs (I don't remember if this is really the
   groupname, maybe it's davfs2)

3. edit the file /etc/fstab -> add a line at the end:

   https://mydisk.se/yourusername   /home/enrico/webdav   davfs   user,noauto           0  0

4. edit the file /etc/davfs2/secrets, add the following line:

   /home/enrico/webdav    yourmydiskusername   yourmydiskpasswd

5. mkdir ~/webdav

6. sudo dpkg-reconfigure davfs2 --> set the SUID Bit (i.e. just say "yes")

7. mount ~/webdav

Now, your folders of mydisk.se should appear under ~/webdav. Then tell
Emacs (org-mobile) to use this folder instead of scp. I just used
customize to set the org-mobile-directory.

> This in in my .emacs:
>
> (setq org-mobile-files (quote ("~/org/agenda.org")))
> (setq org-mobile-directory "~/stage/")

Change this to "~/webdav" or use "stage" in the procedure above.

> (add-hook 'org-mobile-post-push-hook
>   (lambda () (shell-command "scp -r ~/stage/* hindiogine@mydisk.se:org/")))
> (add-hook ' org-mobile-pre-pull-hook
>   (lambda () (shell-command "scp hindiogine@mydisk.se:org/mobile.org
> ~/stage ")))
> (add-hook 'org-mobile-post-pull-hook
>   (lambda () (shell-command "scp ~/stage/mobileorg.org
> hindiogine@mydisk.se:org]/")))

I think with the webdav-approach you have to delete these hooks. Comment
them out and restart Emacs.

Good luck

@ 2010-06-02 17:22     ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-06-02 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

I am having a problem with syncing.

I created a webdav on my lab server.

I access it from the Android navigator and I made a test with MobileOrg for
Iphone with a friend of mine.

Both cases worked perfect

However when I use sync nothing happens. The screen remains completely
black.

I can use capture (I used both version 0.4 and developments with quite the
same results) but I cannot sync again

My webadav is something

http://IPADDRESS/webdav/index.org

where IPADDRESS is the IP address of the server 150.***.***.***

Daniel

@ 2010-06-02 19:35       ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-06-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

PROBLEM solved!!!

I have put the link in index.org directly but without an "*"

[[file.org]]

and not

* [[file.org]]

I sincerely feel that this "* " could be optional

Daniel

@ 2010-06-07  7:02   ` Detlef Steuer
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTikYVkk-tExzTXoaFdmbKf8LrLZuqgtZo6chgvDC@mail.gmail.com>
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-06-07  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Do you plan to add dropbox support into mobileorg-android?
That would be just great!

Thank you anyway for your efforts, even if dropbox gets dropped!

Detlef

@ 2010-06-07 14:43       ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-06-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I do plan on adding DropBox support but would like to get some other
features working first.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-06-07 15:30         ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-06-07 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Jones <bsdmatburt@gmail.com> writes:
> I do plan on adding DropBox support but would like to get some other
> features working first.

Thanks Matthew.  I recently started using DropBox on my desktop, laptop
and Xperia phone.  All my main org files are now in my DropBox.  It is a
fantastic application.

It would be wonderful to have MobileOrg work with DropBox.

Best,

Henri-Paul Indiogine

@ 2010-07-11  5:56       ` Dave Kritzberg
       [not found]         ` <AANLkTimqX9-C14gYXeTMtD4TqZ8W9aVXf8Sibexam4a2@mail.gmail.com>
From: Dave Kritzberg @ 2010-07-11  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Robert Goldman

Hello Matthew and Orgmode Users,

Is there any compatibility issue with mobile-org and the iPhone OS v. 4?

Thanks,
Dave Kritzberg

@ 2010-07-14 22:15           ` Dave Kritzberg
From: Dave Kritzberg @ 2010-07-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)