Thanks Sebastian and David, I now have firefox working, I had to use that html file though, as firefox wouldn't bring up the application selection dialog with the test links on worg. Will now look into getting xdg-mime to work for chromium ... On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM, David Maus wrote: > Sebastian Rose wrote: > >Julien Fantin writes: > >> I've been struggling this morning trying to get org-protocol setup on my > >> linux box (via http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php) > >> > >> I can't get a web-browser to register org-protcol with emacsclient, as > I'm > >> not using a desktop environment (plain startx and openbox), I'm pretty > sure > >> this is an xdg config issue. > >> However, despite reading through the specs I couldn't fathom the proper > >> settings. > >> > >> In chromium, the external application comes up, and calls xdg-open > >> org-protocol://subprotocol/... which ends up firing a new chromium frame > >> > >> In firefox, I've tried setting network.protocol-handler.app.org-protocol > to > >> an empty string or my emacsclient path, anyhow I get the following error > >> message : > >> "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol > >> (org-protocol) isn't associated with any program" without showing any > >> external application selection dialog. > > > >Hi Julien, > > > >see > > > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol#All_Firefox_versions_.28requires_certain_Gnome_libraries_to_be_installed.29 > > Or, of course "Firefox 3.5 specific (works without installed Gnome > libraries)". Worked fine for me (dwm), just one thing that is IIRC > not mentioned on Worg: You have to click on protocol link to set path > to emacsclient. E.g. > > cat >> /tmp/test.html >