* [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-13 21:34 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-13 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

Although I try to keep all my org files inside a ~/org directory, I
often find myself creating org files outside of this directory
context, for example, as a bucket for a new project I'm working on, to
keep notes, todos, etc.

It'd be nice if we had a org-backup function that would fetch all
files from the agenda + linked files and create a compressed backup of
them. What do you think?

Cheers,

Marcelo.

* Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-13 21:49 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-02-13 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> Although I try to keep all my org files inside a ~/org directory, I
> often find myself creating org files outside of this directory
> context, for example, as a bucket for a new project I'm working on, to
> keep notes, todos, etc.
>
> It'd be nice if we had a org-backup function that would fetch all
> files from the agenda + linked files and create a compressed backup of
> them. What do you think?

Hi Marcelo,

I think backing up text files is a job for other tools; not emacs. I'd
recommend using a version control tool such as git for this.

Dan

> Cheers,
>
> Marcelo.

* Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-13 23:13   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-13 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Dan!

I already do this, but sometimes the files are spread around *many*
directories. I.e, the model of having everything in a
version-controlled directory is unpractical, so that's why I think it
would be useful.

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-13 23:14     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-13 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Org Mode

Anyway, doesn't seem it's something hard to do, so I might as well
just try getting something implemented, could be a good exercise in
elisp.

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan!
>
> I already do this, but sometimes the files are spread around *many*
> directories. I.e, the model of having everything in a
> version-controlled directory is unpractical, so that's why I think it
> would be useful.
>
> Marcelo.
>
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Dan Davison <dandavison7@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> Although I try to keep all my org files inside a ~/org directory, I
>>> often find myself creating org files outside of this directory
>>> context, for example, as a bucket for a new project I'm working on, to
>>> keep notes, todos, etc.
>>>
>>> It'd be nice if we had a org-backup function that would fetch all
>>> files from the agenda + linked files and create a compressed backup of
>>> them. What do you think?
>>
>> Hi Marcelo,
>>
>> I think backing up text files is a job for other tools; not emacs. I'd
>> recommend using a version control tool such as git for this.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Marcelo.

* Re: Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-14  0:03       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-14  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode, Dan Davison

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyway, doesn't seem it's something hard to do, so I might as well
> just try getting something implemented, could be a good exercise in
> elisp.

:)

Let us know how it goes.

PS: I'm with Dan on this.  For backing up directories, I use git repo.
For backing up larger projects... well, I back up my whole $HOME.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-14  0:45     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-02-14  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I already do this, but sometimes the files are spread around *many*
> directories. I.e, the model of having everything in a
> version-controlled directory is unpractical, so that's why I think it
> would be useful.

If you are on *nix, then maybe something like this is what you are looking for?

mkdir -p ~/org/backup && \
find $HOME -type f -name '*\.org' ! -path "$HOME/org/*" \
     -exec cp -t ~/org/backup/ \{\} \;

--
Suvayu

* Re: Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-14  1:06       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-14  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Org Mode

Ah! This would do I think :) Thanks!

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-14  9:06       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-14  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi Suvayu,

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> If you are on *nix, then maybe something like this is what you are looking for?
>
> mkdir -p ~/org/backup && \
> find $HOME -type f -name '*\.org' ! -path "$HOME/org/*" \
>      -exec cp -t ~/org/backup/ \{\} \;

I created a "Backup" section on Worg's FAQ and mentioned this.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-14  9:16         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-02-14  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:06:51 +0100
Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Hi Suvayu,
>
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > If you are on *nix, then maybe something like this is what you are
> > looking for?
> >
> > mkdir -p ~/org/backup && \
> > find $HOME -type f -name '*\.org' ! -path "$HOME/org/*" \
> >      -exec cp -t ~/org/backup/ \{\} \;
>
> I created a "Backup" section on Worg's FAQ and mentioned this.

Thanks Bastien! I am glad that you thought its worth a mention on the
FAQ. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-14 12:38     ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-02-14 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Dan!
>
> I already do this, but sometimes the files are spread around *many*
> directories. I.e, the model of having everything in a
> version-controlled directory is unpractical, so that's why I think it
> would be useful.

A couple of possibilities:

A git repo doesn't have to be limited to a single directory. You could
have a git repo in your home directory, and git add org files, wherever
they may be located using a command something like
find . -type f -name '*.org' -exec git add '{}' \;

You could use symlinks where posible, so that your org files are all in
one directory, and project directories contain symlinks to those org
files.

Dan

@ 2011-02-14 21:06           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-14 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Bastien! I am glad that you thought its worth a mention on the
> FAQ. :)

The topic of backing up org files comes quite often on the list, I'm
glad we can give some concrete directions!

--
 Bastien

* Re: [Feature request] org-backup
@ 2011-02-14 21:26       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-14 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Dan,

I don't think I understood -- AFAIK, git repos are per directory and I
can't add something from another directory to it ?

Symlinking could be a possibility, like keeping everything inside
~/org and symlink to another dirs.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-14 22:56         ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-02-14 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I don't think I understood -- AFAIK, git repos are per directory and I
> can't add something from another directory to it ?

Hi Marcelo,

Let's say the "base directory" of a git repo is the one in which you
issued "git init" and which contains a hidden ".git" subdirectory. You
can add files from anywhere in the directory tree rooted at the base
directory. In other words, if you make a git repo in your home directory

cd ~
git init

you can add files from any subdirectory of your home directory. Just an
idea.

Dan

@ 2011-02-15 16:44           ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Org Mode

Ah, yeah, subdirs. I had misunderstood you.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-21  7:04         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-21  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Anyway, doesn't seem it's something hard to do, so I might as well
>> just try getting something implemented, could be a good exercise in
>> elisp.
>
> :)
>
> Let us know how it goes.
>
> PS: I'm with Dan on this.  For backing up directories, I use git repo.
> For backing up larger projects... well, I back up my whole $HOME.

For org files that are standalone such as the bucket for notes etc. on a
new project, I use RCS to keep them under version control wherever they
may be without having to put a whole directory under control of
git/hg/svn/darcs/...  Emacs handles RCS controlled files very well.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.509.g99aa5)