On April 1, 2017 10:57:41 PM GMT+05:30, Bob Newell wrote: >Org-mode has nearly everything that other outlining tools have, and >generally much, much more. But one thing that is missing (and >there's been sporadic traffic about this) is convenient >scatter-gather. BrainStorm WFO has this; it's not like I'm going to >start using it as an alternative, but such a feature might be nice in >org-mode. > >The Emacs way is to write it yourself, and I'm thinking about that. But >I wanted to try out the concept and see if it's of interest, or for >that >matter, more trouble than it's worth. > >You can do something like this on the Agenda screen, but that's not a >general solution at all. What about an "ordinary" org mode file. So >here's the flow I envision. > >1. You "mark" a series of headline entries with, say, > 'org-sg-mark'. Perhaps it would look like this when marked: > > ** ! interesting headline > > Yes, this disturbs the existing text. But the marking has to be > somehow visual. > >2. You give a command like 'org-sg-gather' and the marked headlines are > gathered up, moved (just like archiving) to a file (for which you're > prompted) or maybe, optionally to the top or bottom of the current > buffer. The marks are then cleared. > >3. 'org-sg-clear' clears a single mark; 'org-sg-clear-all' clears them >all. > >Potential problems: > >1. As mentioned, text is disturbed at least temporarily. > >2. Incomplete operation sequences leave marks in place, when they might > be useless. > >3. If the gathered headlines are at different levels, the resulting > gathered outline will not be sensible and will require manual fixing. > >Comments welcome. This doesn't look especially difficult to code, but >does it make sense and is it of any use? > >-- >Bob Newell >Honolulu, Hawai`i >* Via Gnus/BBDB/Org/Emacs/Linux * What is scatter-gather ? What is the purpose for which it is done? Google tells me about a vectored I/O method, which is not what i guess you are talking about. That would help clarify why you chose an org-syntax demolishing "!" instead of a tag. For myself i have coded a dirty elisp to extract and randomly order some specific marked headlines. But for this, tags work better because i don't want to mark all my headlines (hundreds) every time i dump this out.