* Summer challenge
@ 2008-07-29 19:59 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-29 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

ever heard of the IG Nobel prize [1] of the Journal of Improbable
Research?
The annual awards meeting is always great to watch.

One of the things they do is that each speaker has to give
a 24/7 lecture on their subject. This means, they have to give
a complete technical description of their work in 24 words (may be
totaly crypic), and then a 7 word explanation that is more or
less understandable for the public, and it may be either
tongue in cheek or serious.  I find it a great exercise to
try to make these, over whatever subject.

Lets have a challenge for the best 24/7 lecture about org-mode
over the summer.  I am particular interested in good 7 word
summaries, because these are the most fun.

Examples:

A 24 summary
------------
Org-mode does outlining, note-taking, hyperlinks,
spreadsheets, TODO lists, project planning, GTD,
HTML and LaTeX authoring, all with plain text files
in Emacs.

3 examples for 7-word summary
-----------------------------
1. Plain text notes and planning magic with Emacs.
2. Back to the future for plain text.
3. Chuck Norris would not use anything else.

Enjoy

- Carsten

[1] http://improbable.com/ig/

* Re: Summer challenge
@ 2008-07-29 21:27 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-07-29 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi,
>
> ever heard of the IG Nobel prize [1] of the Journal of Improbable
> Research?

No I've never hard of it... well now I have :)

> The annual awards meeting is always great to watch.
>
> One of the things they do is that each speaker has to give
> a 24/7 lecture on their subject. This means, they have to give
> a complete technical description of their work in 24 words (may be
> totaly crypic), and then a 7 word explanation that is more or
> less understandable for the public, and it may be either
> tongue in cheek or serious.  I find it a great exercise to
> try to make these, over whatever subject.
>
> Lets have a challenge for the best 24/7 lecture about org-mode
> over the summer.  I am particular interested in good 7 word
> summaries, because these are the most fun.

Here's my 7 word attempt:

Organize and track everything in plain text.

-Bernt

* Re: Summer challenge
@ 2008-07-31  1:31 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2008-07-31  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just some brain dumping:

Organize outlines, lists and table in text.
Text outliner with tables, lists and more.
Plain text outliner: tables, lists and more.
Plain text outliner / organizer: tables, lists, more.
ASCII outliner / organizer: tables, lists and more.
Powerful ASCII outliner / organizer: tables, lists, more.

Seven words ain't enough to say it

Edd.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ever heard of the IG Nobel prize [1] of the Journal of Improbable Research?
> The annual awards meeting is always great to watch.
>
> One of the things they do is that each speaker has to give
> a 24/7 lecture on their subject. This means, they have to give
> a complete technical description of their work in 24 words (may be
> totaly crypic), and then a 7 word explanation that is more or
> less understandable for the public, and it may be either
> tongue in cheek or serious.  I find it a great exercise to
> try to make these, over whatever subject.
>
> Lets have a challenge for the best 24/7 lecture about org-mode
> over the summer.  I am particular interested in good 7 word
> summaries, because these are the most fun.
>
> Examples:
>
> A 24 summary
> ------------
> Org-mode does outlining, note-taking, hyperlinks,
> spreadsheets, TODO lists, project planning, GTD,
> HTML and LaTeX authoring, all with plain text files
> in Emacs.
>
> 3 examples for 7-word summary
> -----------------------------
> 1. Plain text notes and planning magic with Emacs.
> 2. Back to the future for plain text.
> 3. Chuck Norris would not use anything else.
>
> Enjoy
>
> - Carsten
>
> [1] http://improbable.com/ig/

* RE: Summer challenge
@ 2008-07-31  2:16   ` Parker, Matthew
From: Parker, Matthew @ 2008-07-31  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does it have to be equal to 7 words? Or just < 7?

Your life in text
Your life on text
This is your life on text
Org Mode: This is your life in text
Organize outlines, lists and table in text.
Text outliner with tables, lists and more.
Plain text outliner: tables, lists and more.
Plain text outliner / organizer: tables, lists, more.
ASCII outliner / organizer: tables, lists and more.
Powerful ASCII outliner / organizer: tables, lists, more.

Seven words ain't enough to say it

Edd.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ever heard of the IG Nobel prize [1] of the Journal of Improbable Research?
> The annual awards meeting is always great to watch.
>
> One of the things they do is that each speaker has to give
> a 24/7 lecture on their subject. This means, they have to give
> a complete technical description of their work in 24 words (may be
> totaly crypic), and then a 7 word explanation that is more or
> less understandable for the public, and it may be either
> tongue in cheek or serious.  I find it a great exercise to
> try to make these, over whatever subject.
>
> Lets have a challenge for the best 24/7 lecture about org-mode
> over the summer.  I am particular interested in good 7 word
> summaries, because these are the most fun.
>
> Examples:
>
> A 24 summary
> ------------
> Org-mode does outlining, note-taking, hyperlinks,
> spreadsheets, TODO lists, project planning, GTD,
> HTML and LaTeX authoring, all with plain text files
> in Emacs.
>
> 3 examples for 7-word summary
> -----------------------------
> 1. Plain text notes and planning magic with Emacs.
> 2. Back to the future for plain text.
> 3. Chuck Norris would not use anything else.
>
> Enjoy
>
> - Carsten
>
> [1] http://improbable.com/ig/

* Summer challenge
@ 2008-08-02 17:43 Kene Meniru
From: Kene Meniru @ 2008-08-02 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carsten.dominik; +Cc: Orglist

How about:

Do work and play in plain text
--

Kene Meniru
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

* Re: Summer challenge
@ 2008-08-02 20:12 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-08-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 01:43:01PM -0400, Kene Meniru wrote:
> How about:
>
> Do work and play in plain text
> --

Its Saturday, how about?

Madness? This is org-mode! *Real Spartans use emacs!*

Plain text with frickin' lasers. *pinky to lips*

It is the text that binds us. *Shekaka!*

Ok, but really:

Compelling organization in plain text.

Powerful outlining organization in plain text.

* Re: Summer challenge
@ 2008-08-02 20:33   ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2008-08-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode — lifehacker's orgy :-P
--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Summer challenge
@ 2008-11-09  8:23   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-09  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Russel,

I have been trying to figure out the references you used in your 7
word summaries.

I was unsure about "Sekaka".

All I coud find was http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shikaka
,
can you enlighten me what you meant there?

- Carsten

On Aug 2, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Russell Adams wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 01:43:01PM -0400, Kene Meniru wrote:
>> How about:
>>
>> Do work and play in plain text
>> --
>
> Its Saturday, how about?
>
> Madness? This is org-mode! *Real Spartans use emacs!*
>
> Plain text with frickin' lasers. *pinky to lips*
>
> It is the text that binds us. *Shekaka!*
>
> Ok, but really:
>
> Compelling organization in plain text.
>
> Powerful outlining organization in plain text.

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

* Re: Summer challenge
@ 2008-11-09 10:20     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-11-09 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'll explain the funny references:

>> Madness? This is org-mode! *Real Spartans use emacs!*

A reference to the movie Sparta, in particular the Youtube video of
Sparta remixed to techo.

>> Plain text with frickin' lasers. *pinky to lips*

Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. ;]

>> It is the text that binds us. *Shekaka!*

Ace Ventura reference, and yes, I mean the white bat! ;]

Might be spelled "Shikaka".

Enjoy.