* Abbrevs and Org Tables
@ 2008-04-20  9:44 Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2008-04-20  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I define an Emacs abbrev of, say, "hnbc" to exapand to "how now brown
cow", and then type "hnbc[space]" inside an org table cell. After it has
expanded it pushes the trailing cell divider away, even though the cell
width was adequate. Tabbing out of the cell doesn't re-fit the cell
divider - it stays "stuck" where it was after the expansion.

It's slightly odd, because if I type lots of leading spaces before the
abbrev and then tab, org happily moves the expanded text back to the
beginning of the cell, but still doesn't move the trailing divider.

C-c C-c fixes it, and also moving the cursor over to the trailing cell
divider and backspace one char and tab.

Any other workarounds or suggestions?

--
Chris Randle

* Re: Abbrevs and Org Tables
@ 2008-04-20 14:09 ` Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-04-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On a related note, I have some emphasis formatting/cell width problems
within tables.
I have some custom emphasis alist along with hiding the emphasis markers
defined so...

verbatim) ("~" org-verbatim "" "" verbatim) ("+" (:strike-through t)
"<del>" "</del>") ("&" font-lock-keyword-face "" "") ("#" j-green-face
"" "") ("^" j-highlight-face "" ""))))

 '(org-hide-emphasis-markers t)

where j-green-face or essentially the default face with the color green etc.

When I do an emphasis inside a table, the emphasis special characters
would disappear and the correct formatting would appear on the word,
however the right cell vertical divider character would get pulled in by
1 character. <tab> does not resize the table cell properly. I need to
manually insert a space to move the divider to the right and then
everything would work as expected.  Just a minor annoyance..

Not sure if I explained the issue correctly...

Jose

@ 2008-04-21 13:15   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-21 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Robins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 20, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Jose Robins wrote:

> On a related note, I have some emphasis formatting/cell width
> problems within tables.
> I have some custom emphasis alist along with hiding the emphasis
> markers defined so...
>
> '(org-emphasis-alist (quote (("*" bold "<b>" "</b>") ("/" italic
> code>" verbatim) ("~" org-verbatim "" "" verbatim) ("+" (:strike-
> through t) "<del>" "</del>") ("&" font-lock-keyword-face "" "") ("#"
> j-green-face "" "") ("^" j-highlight-face "" ""))))
>
>  '(org-hide-emphasis-markers t)
>
> where j-green-face or essentially the default face with the color
> green etc.
>
> When I do an emphasis inside a table, the emphasis special
> characters would disappear and the correct formatting would appear
> on the word, however the right cell vertical divider character would
> get pulled in by 1 character. <tab> does not resize the table cell
> properly. I need to manually insert a space to move the divider to
> the right and then everything would work as expected.  Just a minor
> annoyance..
>
> Not sure if I explained the issue correctly...

Hi Jose,

does C-c C-c fix the alignment, or not?

- Carsten

@ 2008-04-21 14:09     ` Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-04-21 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Jose Robins wrote:
>
>> On a related note, I have some emphasis formatting/cell width
>> problems within tables.
>> I have some custom emphasis alist along with hiding the emphasis
>> markers defined so...
>>
>> '(org-emphasis-alist (quote (("*" bold "<b>" "</b>") ("/" italic
>> "</code>" verbatim) ("~" org-verbatim "" "" verbatim) ("+"
>> (:strike-through t) "<del>" "</del>") ("&" font-lock-keyword-face ""
>> "") ("#" j-green-face "" "") ("^" j-highlight-face "" ""))))
>>
>>  '(org-hide-emphasis-markers t)
>>
>> where j-green-face or essentially the default face with the color
>> green etc.
>>
>> When I do an emphasis inside a table, the emphasis special characters
>> would disappear and the correct formatting would appear on the word,
>> however the right cell vertical divider character would get pulled in
>> by 1 character. <tab> does not resize the table cell properly. I need
>> to manually insert a space to move the divider to the right and then
>> everything would work as expected.  Just a minor annoyance..
>>
>> Not sure if I explained the issue correctly...
>
> Hi Jose,
>
> does C-c C-c fix the alignment, or not?
>
> - Carsten
Hi Carsten,
Actually, C-c C-c does work while <tab> does not work reliably. I was
just trying out different emphasis markers. Bold was what was giving me
problem today (* regexp) - <TAB> didn't work while C-c C-c worked. My
customized ones seemed to work fine today. However I do distinctly
remember them not working properly earlier.  Let me know if C-c C-c is
the "recommended" method for reformatting tables...

I've also found my custom emphasis markers not working reliably on
headlines. Sometimes, they will revert back to not being emphasized
depending on the following headline's contents. Not sure if using
emphasis markers on headlines is discouraged or not. If you like, I can
document this better and send you more details on the type of actions
that cause the formatting to break.

I've always been known to indulge in "corner" cases and using things on
the bleeding edge, so things like this always happen to me :)

Thanks,
Jose

@ 2008-04-22  3:32 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-22  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle, Jose Robins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 20, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Chris Randle wrote:

> Hi
>
> I define an Emacs abbrev of, say, "hnbc" to exapand to "how now brown
> cow", and then type "hnbc[space]" inside an org table cell. After it
> has
> expanded it pushes the trailing cell divider away, even though the
> cell
> width was adequate. Tabbing out of the cell doesn't re-fit the cell
> divider - it stays "stuck" where it was after the expansion.
>
> It's slightly odd, because if I type lots of leading spaces before the
> abbrev and then tab, org happily moves the expanded text back to the
> beginning of the cell, but still doesn't move the trailing divider.
>
> C-c C-c fixes it, and also moving the cursor over to the trailing cell
> divider and backspace one char and tab.
>
> Any other workarounds or suggestions?

Hi Chris, Jose,

maybe it is useful to explain a bit how the table editor works.  Each
time you press a character,  Org checks if you are doing this inside a
table.  If yes, Org is checking if it can insert the character into
the current field., it it fits in there.  If yes it does so.  If not,
it raises a flag that the next TAB should trigger a re-alignment of
the table.  Org goes through all this to avoid having the re-align the
table always, each time you press TAB, because for large tables this
can lead to a significant slowdown.

Now, the two things mentioned in this thread, abbrev expansion and
hiding of emphasis markers, happen outside the control of normal
editing.  Both happen by some hook, and the corresponding change in
field width is not noticed by Org.  It is not easy to fix this without
endangering the mechanism that suppresses constant table alignment.
It seems to me that these two cases are rare enough that it is not too
much to ask to quickly fix things with C-c C-c.

I this really bothers you, take a look at the variable `org-enable-
table-editor'.  The default for this variable is `optimized', which
leads to the discussed behavior.  If you set it to t, each TAB will re-
align the table.

HTH

- Carsten