* Problem org-beamer export
@ 2010-05-13 15:16 Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2010-05-13 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

Org beamer has proven to be an invaluable tool, I use it not only for preparing lecture notes but also for all my presentation - farewell powerpoint :)  However, I recently upgraded my current version of org to 6.36. I love the new inline image, but their seem to be a bug in the latex export.  It would appear that org-export-latex still does a good job in translating org files to latex, but for some reason I get an error when issue C-C C-e C-p . More specifically,  pdftex.def Error: Option 'pdftex' requires pdfTex. What is interesting is 1) if I compile the resulting latex file from the command line everything  works fine, 2) I don't get an  error when there is an existing pdf file when I issue C-C C-e C-p,  but the pdf  doesn't get updated - it seems to skip the compiling stage if the pdf file is there.

Does anybody have any suggestion how to resolve this issue.
thanks

PS I am using carbon emac on snow leopard and mactex 2009

---
Marvin Doyley, PhD
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Rochester
413 Hopeman Engineering Building
PO Box 270126
Rochester NY 14627
Tel:- +1)-585-275-3774
Fax: +1)-585-273-4919
http://www.ece.rochester.edu/projects/doyley_lab

* Re: Problem org-beamer export
@ 2010-05-14 12:08 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-14 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 13, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Marvin Doyley wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Org beamer has proven to be an invaluable tool, I use it not only
> for preparing lecture notes but also for all my presentation -
> farewell powerpoint :)  However, I recently upgraded my current
> version of org to 6.36. I love the new inline image, but their seem
> to be a bug in the latex export.  It would appear that org-export-
> latex still does a good job in translating org files to latex, but
> for some reason I get an error when issue C-C C-e C-p . More
> specifically,  pdftex.def Error: Option 'pdftex' requires pdfTex.
> What is interesting is 1) if I compile the resulting latex file from
> the command line everything  works fine, 2) I don't get an  error
> when there is an existing pdf file when I issue C-C C-e C-p,  but
> the pdf  doesn't get updated - it seems to skip the compiling stage
> if the pdf file is there.

Hi,

I have no problems compiling to PDF.  Anyone else?

The error message sounds to me that somehow Emacs cannot find the you
TEX installation.  Maybe there is something wrong with the paths.  If
it works from the command line, try starting Emacs from the command
line - this will make the command line environment visible to Emacs.
If you start Carbon Emacs normally, then stuff in you shell setup is
not read any you may end up with a different set of environment
settings.

- Carsten

* Re: Problem org-beamer export
@ 2010-05-14 13:11   ` Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2010-05-14 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

This problem is now resolved. I just needed to change pdftex to pdflatex in graphics.cfg file.

thanks
PS
I am planning to learn lisp this summer so I can contribute to org development in my limited spare time, what is the best place to start ?
On May 14, 2010, at 8:08 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 13, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Marvin Doyley wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Org beamer has proven to be an invaluable tool, I use it not only for preparing lecture notes but also for all my presentation - farewell powerpoint :)  However, I recently upgraded my current version of org to 6.36. I love the new inline image, but their seem to be a bug in the latex export.  It would appear that org-export-latex still does a good job in translating org files to latex, but for some reason I get an error when issue C-C C-e C-p . More specifically,  pdftex.def Error: Option 'pdftex' requires pdfTex. What is interesting is 1) if I compile the resulting latex file from the command line everything  works fine, 2) I don't get an  error when there is an existing pdf file when I issue C-C C-e C-p,  but the pdf  doesn't get updated - it seems to skip the compiling stage if the pdf file is there.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have no problems compiling to PDF.  Anyone else?
>
> The error message sounds to me that somehow Emacs cannot find the you TEX installation.  Maybe there is something wrong with the paths.  If it works from the command line, try starting Emacs from the command line - this will make the command line environment visible to Emacs.  If you start Carbon Emacs normally, then stuff in you shell setup is not read any you may end up with a different set of environment settings.
>
> - Carsten

Marvin Doyley
doyley@ece.rochester.edu