* (org-cycle) in new plain list items
@ 2020-05-23 23:46 lamaglama
From: lamaglama @ 2020-05-23 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It is a minor thing, but it sort of bugs me:

When I press <TAB> in a new plain list item it demotes it, as it should.
But when I press <TAB> again, it does not move to the parent level, like
a new headline would. Rather, it goes to the initial level first, before
moving on to the parent levels.

Is this intended behaviour?

Kind Regards

* Re: (org-cycle) in new plain list items
@ 2020-05-24 11:03 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-05-24 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lamaglama; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

lamaglama@posteo.net writes:

> It is a minor thing, but it sort of bugs me:
>
> When I press <TAB> in a new plain list item it demotes it, as it
> should.

So I guess you have (setq org-cycle-include-plain-lists nil), right?

> But when I press <TAB> again, it does not move to the parent
> level, like a new headline would.

I'm not sure what "move to the parent level" really means here.

> Rather, it goes to the initial level
> first, before moving on to the parent levels.
>
> Is this intended behaviour?

Sorry I cannot figure out what the problem is.  Can you give a more
actionable example, along with relevant parts of your configuration
and Org/Emacs versions?

 Bastien

* Re: (org-cycle) in new plain list items
@ 2020-05-24 13:51   ` lamaglama
From: lamaglama @ 2020-05-24 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorry for being unclear, I'll try to rephrase what I am talking about.

Bastien wrote:
> So I guess you have (setq org-cycle-include-plain-lists nil), right?

It is set to integrate, but I tested it and it does not seem to matter.

> I'm not sure what "move to the parent level" really means here.

Sorry, again. I am talking about "nested" plain lists:

> - "Parent" level
> - Initial level for new item
> -
 At this point I created the empty item with M-RET. If I then press TAB,
it demotes this item, which is also mentioned here:
https://orgmode.org/org.html#Plain-Lists [1].

> - "Parent" level
> - Initial level for new item
> -
 So far, so good. But if I then press TAB again, we go back to this:

> - "Parent" level
> - Initial level for new item
> -
 Whereas I would expect it to move the item to this position:

> - "Parent" level
> - Initial level for new item
> -
 If it would do this, it would behave analogous to how it is implemented
for headings, as described at
https://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-Editing.html#Structure-Editing [2]:

> In a new entry with no text yet, the first TAB demotes the entry to become a child of the previous one. The next TAB makes it a parent, and so on, all the way to top level. Yet another TAB, and you are back to the initial level.
 I am using Emacs 26.3 on Windows and this behaviour replicated on a
clean install.

Thank you for your time!

Links:
------
[1] https://orgmode.org/org.html#Plain-Lists
[2] https://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-Editing.html#Structure-Editing

* Re: (org-cycle) in new plain list items
@ 2020-05-24 19:22     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-24 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lamaglama; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

lamaglama@posteo.net writes:

> Sorry, again. I am talking about "nested" plain lists:
>
>> - "Parent" level
>> - Initial level for new item
>> -
>  At this point I created the empty item with M-RET. If I then press TAB,
> it demotes this item, which is also mentioned here:
> https://orgmode.org/org.html#Plain-Lists [1].
>
>> - "Parent" level
>> - Initial level for new item
>> -
>  So far, so good. But if I then press TAB again, we go back to this:
>
>> - "Parent" level
>> - Initial level for new item
>> -
>  Whereas I would expect it to move the item to this position:
>
>> - "Parent" level
>> - Initial level for new item
>> -

>  If it would do this, it would behave analogous to how it is implemented
> for headings, as described at
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-Editing.html#Structure-Editing
> [2]:

I'm looking into it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: (org-cycle) in new plain list items
@ 2020-05-24 21:58       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-24 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lamaglama; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

> I'm looking into it.