From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl>
Cc: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>,
	Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu>,
	emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: filtering timeline view
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 20:27:57 +0100	[thread overview]

OK, lets try to be a bit more forthcoming and give some answers...

On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:31 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Ilya Shlyakhter wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>> Is there a way to include this secondary filter into a custom
>> agenda view?
>>
>> Also, a couple of suggestions for the agenda view:
>>
>>   - C-h C-m should display the available commands, like in other
>> Emacs modes

`C-h C-m' shows the Emacs manual.  `C-h m' shows the mode
documentation, and
in the Agenda mode it does show all available commands.
Furthermore, both org-mode and org-agenda-mode have menus which
contain a pretty complete list of commands.  So does the printable
refcard.

>>   - there should be a command to remotely visibility-cycle the
>> currently highlighted node in the original org buffer

Would you like to suggest a key for such a command?
Note also the variables org-show-hierarchy-above and its siblings
which can be configured so that more context becomes visible when a
command is shown from the agenda.

>>   - days on which there are no agenda entries after secondary
>> filtering should be removed from the timeline list

THis is hard, and just icing on the cake.  Not necessary in my view.

>>   - would be good to be able to do a secondary filter on the
>> contents of the entries (like with keyword search), rather than just
>> on the tags.

There is a search view which searches headline and content
for text and regexps.  You can then drill down with tags.

>> In general, the number of commands to remember seems very large.

That sounds life experience and wisdom.  In what context do you mean
that?

>> It would be good if there was, in addition, a simple general way to
>> select a subset of the entries,
>> specifying:
>>  - whether to search just this file or all agenda files
>>  - what regexp the entry header and/or the entry text must match,
>> or not match
>>  - what tags the entry must have or not have
>>  - what date range the entry must be labelled with
>> then specifying how to sort the results: by date, (then) by tag;
>> ascending/descending; etc.

`C-c a m' is at least half-way what you want.

>> It would also be good if some of these conditions could be entered
>> dynamically at the prompt, where they would be lisp-compiled and
>> applied to generate the needed agenda.

Again C-c a m does this, after you have remembered how
the syntax for tags and property searches works.

- Carsten