* SETUPFILE: file open failure hardly noticeable
@ 2013-04-05 16:29 Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2013-04-05 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi all

I had to experience that a #+SETUPFILE: pointing to a nonexisting file
results in not more than two times a (message) "Cannot read file
[...]" in the messages buffer which I didn't notice in the first
place. Only when I noticed that my custom todo keywords configuration
was missing I started to realize what happened. (The minibuffer
replaces those messages already after opening the file and I never
examine the Messages buffer at that time without reason.)

In the Org source code I found noerror for the two corresponding calls
of org-file-contents. I tried to make the load failure more prominent
but have to give up for the moment: When changing the (message) to
(error) or when adding a (ding) to the (message), in my case both
trigger new problems like hooks not called and messed up org-emphasis
or fontify. And the (error) is noticeable only hardly again because it
seems to me like catched by "File mode specification error", a
behavior by design which I don't understand.

Is there any opinion or help on how to improve this?

Michael