* Index of cases
@ 2013-09-07 23:07 Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-09-07 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

G'day,

I am the author of a legal text of about 700 pages. I currently have the
book in LaTeX using the memoir class. A couple of macros define special
indexes for a Table of Cases and a Table of Statutes. I would like to
move the whole thing to Org to make it easier for my editors who can be
easily alarmed by the LaTeX markup.

The LaTeX is overkill since I submit the manuscript to the publisher in
a Word file.

Is there a standard way to get, say, the table of cases? A typical
"case" looks like this:

     Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258

The Table of Cases needs to indicate where in the text the case is
mentioned; reference to section numbers is OK. So, for example, in the
Table of Cases, the above case appears as:

     Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258  [15.16] [15.25]

Presuming there is not a "standard", I have considered the following
procedure:

     - maintain a list of cases as I write; I already do this to ensure
consistent citation of cases;
     - use links from the list of cases back into the manuscript to
index the places where each case is mentioned in the text.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach, or is there some obviously
better way? I am an extreme novice at elisp but can handle some simple jobs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-08  2:05 ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-09-08  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> G'day,
>
> I am the author of a legal text of about 700 pages. I currently have
> the book in LaTeX using the memoir class. A couple of macros define
> special indexes for a Table of Cases and a Table of Statutes. I would
> like to move the whole thing to Org to make it easier for my editors
> who can be easily alarmed by the LaTeX markup.
>
> The LaTeX is overkill since I submit the manuscript to the publisher in a Word file.
>
> Is there a standard way to get, say, the table of cases? A typical "case" looks like this:
>
>     Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258
>
> The Table of Cases needs to indicate where in the text the case is mentioned; reference to section numbers is OK. So, for example, in the Table of Cases, the above case appears as:
>
>     Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258  [15.16] [15.25]
>
> Presuming there is not a "standard", I have considered the following procedure:
>
>     - maintain a list of cases as I write; I already do this to ensure consistent citation of cases;
>     - use links from the list of cases back into the manuscript to index the places where each case is mentioned in the text.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable approach, or is there some obviously better way? I am an extreme novice at elisp but can handle some simple jobs.

In one sense it would be "nicer" and more writer-friendly if the links
went the other direction; that is, when you refer to a case within the
manuscript, you would always tag it in a way that allows it to be
automatically labelled with the section in which it occurs, and
automatically placed into the index of cases for you. That's a
work-saving ideal that I don't actually know how to achieve. (Further
idealistic ramblings: if for example you were to add a new section
between current sections 6 and 7, it would be nice for the labels in
sections 7 through the end to update themselves "wholesale" without your
needing to change each label individually.)

--
David R

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-08  4:37 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-08  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

CC me in the reply.

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> G'day,
>
> I am the author of a legal text of about 700 pages. I currently have
> the book in LaTeX using the memoir class. A couple of macros define
> special indexes for a Table of Cases and a Table of Statutes.

Please share the existing macros.  Others may find it useful or get
inspiration from it.

> I would like to move the whole thing to Org to make it easier for my
> editors who can be easily alarmed by the LaTeX markup.
>
> The LaTeX is overkill since I submit the manuscript to the publisher
> in a Word file.

If you are interested in ODT export and find something missing, I would
be happy to implement.

The exporter currently doesn't print table of figures etc.  It is
something that I hope to flesh out.  Btw, the exporter already
categorises Math formula (meaning png images or MathML snippets
converted from Latex math snipppets) in to it's own sequence counter.
So I believe we can conjure up a way to enumerate the cases separately.

> Is there a standard way to get, say, the table of cases? A typical
> "case" looks like this:
>
>     Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258
>
> The Table of Cases needs to indicate where in the text the case is
> mentioned; reference to section numbers is OK. So, for example, in the
> Table of Cases, the above case appears as:
>
>     Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258  [15.16]
>     [15.25]

Assuming that the cases are introduced in a paragraph you can attach a
label and caption to a paragraph and link to the NAME with the usual
"reference" link.  (This is possible with the new exporter.)

#+CAPTION: A Non-sensical case
#+NAME: case:dismissed
This paragraph describes HowellvCoupland.

Another alternative would be to introduce the title of the case as a
paragraph of its own and styled separately and then link to the
paragraph.

#+ATTR_ODT: :style "Cases"
A Non-sensical case

This paragraph describes HowellvCoupland.

The difference between the two is this: In the second case, the name of
the case goes right in to document content rather than as a paragraph
caption.

In ODT, it is possible to "collect" paragraphs that have a given style
in to an index of it's own.

I am writing from memory and you know better than to repose trust on
someone you have never met.

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-08  5:56   ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-09-08  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 08/09/13 12:05, David Rogers wrote:
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> G'day,
>>
>> I am the author of a legal text of about 700 pages. I currently have
>> the book in LaTeX using the memoir class. A couple of macros define
>> special indexes for a Table of Cases and a Table of Statutes. I would
>> like to move the whole thing to Org to make it easier for my editors
>> who can be easily alarmed by the LaTeX markup.
>>
>> The LaTeX is overkill since I submit the manuscript to the publisher in a Word file.
>>
>> Is there a standard way to get, say, the table of cases? A typical "case" looks like this:
>>
>>      Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258
>>
>> The Table of Cases needs to indicate where in the text the case is mentioned; reference to section numbers is OK. So, for example, in the Table of Cases, the above case appears as:
>>
>>      Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258  [15.16] [15.25]
>>
>> Presuming there is not a "standard", I have considered the following procedure:
>>
>>      - maintain a list of cases as I write; I already do this to ensure consistent citation of cases;
>>      - use links from the list of cases back into the manuscript to index the places where each case is mentioned in the text.
>>
>> Does this seem like a reasonable approach, or is there some obviously better way? I am an extreme novice at elisp but can handle some simple jobs.
>
> In one sense it would be "nicer" and more writer-friendly if the links
> went the other direction; that is, when you refer to a case within the
> manuscript, you would always tag it in a way that allows it to be
> automatically labelled with the section in which it occurs, and
> automatically placed into the index of cases for you. That's a
> work-saving ideal that I don't actually know how to achieve. (Further
> idealistic ramblings: if for example you were to add a new section
> between current sections 6 and 7, it would be nice for the labels in
> sections 7 through the end to update themselves "wholesale" without your
> needing to change each label individually.)

I was thinking of linking back to the closest headline in the
Manuscript. If it was a "plain" line, that is, one with no description,
then it would be replaced in the Table of Cases with the number of the
headline. Or so I understand from the Manual at section 4.2.

But, if the TOC is a plain text file, then I'm not sure. If it is an org
file, then following a link looks for matching headlines. Not sure what
I am doing!

Thanks for the input.

@ 2013-09-08  6:18   ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-09-08  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 08/09/13 14:37, Jambunathan K wrote:
> CC me in the reply.
>

> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> G'day,
>>
>> I am the author of a legal text of about 700 pages. I currently have
>> the book in LaTeX using the memoir class. A couple of macros define
>> special indexes for a Table of Cases and a Table of Statutes.
> Please share the existing macros.  Others may find it useful or get
> inspiration from it.
G'day Jambu,
Here are the LaTeX macros that I use.
\idx is just the normal index
\sdx generates a Table of Statutes
\cdx is the ordinary macro for generating a Table of Cases

\cdxnop indexes the case (Puts it in the Table of Cases) but does not
print it in the manuscript; this is for certain cases like Re Jones that
should appear in the Table of Cases as "Jones, Re"

\cdx and \cdxnop have two arguments since the legal tradition calls for
the name but not the citation to be italicised.

%%%%%%%%% section numbers as references
\newcommand{\idx}[1]{\specialindex{ablidx}{subsection}{#1}}%%Section numbers
\newcommand{\cdx}[2]{\specialindex{ablcdx}{subsection}{#1 #2}\emph{#1} #2}
\newcommand{\cdxnop}[2]{\specialindex{ablcdx}{subsection}{#1 #2}}
\newcommand{\sdx}[1]{\specialindex{ablsdx}{subsection}{#1}}

\makeindex[ablsdx]
\makeindex[ablcdx]
\makeindex[ablidx]

Here is the way that the case indexing macro appears in text:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
Provided the documents are in order, the buyer must pay. This is so
even if it is known that the goods have been lost at sea. For example,
in \cdx{Manbre Saccharine Co Ltd v Corn Products Co Ltd}{[1919] 1
   KB 198} the defendants sold American pearl starch to the plaintiffs
on CIF London terms.
#+END_EXAMPLE

The Memoir class requires some special set up for printing the alternate

\cleartorecto
\renewcommand{\indexname}{Table of cases}
\onecolindextrue
\printindex[ablcdx] % table of cases

>> I would like to move the whole thing to Org to make it easier for my
>> editors who can be easily alarmed by the LaTeX markup.
>>
>> The LaTeX is overkill since I submit the manuscript to the publisher
>> in a Word file.
> If you are interested in ODT export and find something missing, I would
> be happy to implement.
I use ODT export quite a bit, but I haven't used it with book length
writing that requires indexes. Obviously would be nice, but I can submit
the chapters separate from the indexes so it may not be necessary. If I
get anywhere with this, I'll definitely rely on your kind offer.
> The exporter currently doesn't print table of figures etc.  It is
> something that I hope to flesh out.  Btw, the exporter already
> categorises Math formula (meaning png images or MathML snippets
> converted from Latex math snipppets) in to it's own sequence counter.
> So I believe we can conjure up a way to enumerate the cases separately.
>
>> Is there a standard way to get, say, the table of cases? A typical
>> "case" looks like this:
>>
>>      Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258
>>
>> The Table of Cases needs to indicate where in the text the case is
>> mentioned; reference to section numbers is OK. So, for example, in the
>> Table of Cases, the above case appears as:
>>
>>      Howell v Coupland (1874) LR 9 QB 462; (1876) 1 QBD 258  [15.16]
>>      [15.25]
> Assuming that the cases are introduced in a paragraph you can attach a
> label and caption to a paragraph and link to the NAME with the usual
> "reference" link.  (This is possible with the new exporter.)
>
> #+CAPTION: A Non-sensical case
> #+NAME: case:dismissed
> This paragraph describes HowellvCoupland.

> Another alternative would be to introduce the title of the case as a
> paragraph of its own and styled separately and then link to the
> paragraph.
>
> #+ATTR_ODT: :style "Cases"
> A Non-sensical case
>
> This paragraph describes HowellvCoupland.

> The difference between the two is this: In the second case, the name of
> the case goes right in to document content rather than as a paragraph
> caption.
>
> In ODT, it is possible to "collect" paragraphs that have a given style
> in to an index of it's own.

If I understand you correctly, both approaches would require quite a bit
of markup to go back into the main part of the manuscript. This is what
I'm trying to avoid since the publisher and editors have always required
Word. I have (I think) got them to agree to accept plain text, but I
would like to make it just as plain as possible.

Paragraphs in the text may refer to many cases, so I don't think your
suggestions will meet that goal. Again, that is under the assumption
that I understood you correctly.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers,
Alan

@ 2013-09-08  7:09     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Here are the LaTeX macros that I use.

Seeing a concrete example helps.  Helps avoid speculation.  I don't
understand Latex, so I will speculate ...

> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> Provided the documents are in order, the buyer must pay. This is so
> even if it is known that the goods have been lost at sea. For example,
> in \cdx{Manbre Saccharine Co Ltd v Corn Products Co Ltd}{[1919] 1
>    KB 198} the defendants sold American pearl starch to the plaintiffs
> on CIF London terms.
> #+END_EXAMPLE

Seems like a heretical form of Inline footnotes to me.  I would suggest
that you "fake" a Bibliography entry in a *.bib file and use JabRef to
create your "References" or "Endnotes".

> but I haven't used it with book length writing that requires

You need to just command the machine to do the export :-)

> Obviously would be nice, but I can submit the chapters
> separate from the indexes so it may not be necessary.

As a side-note, I would like to at some point in time add support for
*.odm.

> both approaches would require quite a bit of markup to go back into
> the main part of the manuscript.

A markup is markup.  The markup I suggest is paragraph-oriented - which
Org is good at.  The markup that you have resorted to is
span/inline-style at which Org sucks.

> This is what I'm trying to avoid since the publisher and editors have
> always required Word.

Why get caught in specifics of Markup when all you want is a Word or a
OpenDocument format or even a plain text format.

In the grand scheme of things, insisting plain text or Org or Word
doesn't really matter.  If you want and do get Word, then markup - Org
or otherwise - doesn't matter.

> I have (I think) got them to agree to accept plain text, but I would
> like to make it just as plain as possible.

Oh, Ok.  Looks like there is "exchange of ideas" between the author and
publisher...

> Paragraphs in the text may refer to many cases, so I don't think your
> suggestions will meet that goal.

Seems like Citation or Footnote to me.

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-08  7:29       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-08  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> I have (I think) got them to agree to accept plain text, but I would
>> like to make it just as plain as possible.
>
> Oh, Ok.  Looks like there is "exchange of ideas" between the author and
> publisher...

In lighter vein and tongue-in-cheek sort of way...

It seems like publishers are making you go in circles.

You were after epub.  Now you are after Word.  It is only a matter of
time, before a publisher insists on an LaTex, at which point you would
have done the full-circle and savour a moment of epiphany.

Booktype folks - http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/booktype/ - surfaced in
fsf.org a few months ago.

http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Booktype

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-08 22:17         ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-09-08 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Alan L Tyree

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I have (I think) got them to agree to accept plain text, but I would
>>> like to make it just as plain as possible.
>>
>> Oh, Ok.  Looks like there is "exchange of ideas" between the author and
>> publisher...
>
> In lighter vein and tongue-in-cheek sort of way...
>
> It seems like publishers are making you go in circles.
>
> You were after epub.  Now you are after Word.  It is only a matter of
> time, before a publisher insists on an LaTex, at which point you would
> have done the full-circle and savour a moment of epiphany.

I'm wondering something a bit different:

It sounds as if the publisher actually demands Word documents, and had
never asked for anything but that.

I'm swallowing hard before I say this...

Why not just use Word?

--
David R

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-08 22:55           ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-09-08 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

On 09/09/13 08:17, David Rogers wrote:
> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Oh, Ok.  Looks like there is "exchange of ideas" between the author and
>>> publisher...
>> In lighter vein and tongue-in-cheek sort of way...
>>
>> It seems like publishers are making you go in circles.
>>
>> You were after epub.  Now you are after Word.  It is only a matter of
>> time, before a publisher insists on an LaTex, at which point you would
>> have done the full-circle and savour a moment of epiphany.
>
> I'm wondering something a bit different:
>
> It sounds as if the publisher actually demands Word documents, and had
> never asked for anything but that.
>
> I'm swallowing hard before I say this...
>
> Why not just use Word?

Well, the book is already in LaTeX. I chose that back at the 4th edition
and am now in the process of preparing the 8th. Earlier editions were in
Word, and the new Word can't even read the early manuscripts. I
regularly lost work using Word. The usual complaints.

I had special needs at the time: the publisher uses numbered paragraphs
of the chapter-number variety, eg, [12-125], and index entries should
point to the relevant paragraph. Rearranging paragraphs or inserting a
new one made a mess of *everything* when using Word.

My nephew, a mathematician, suggested that I have a look at LaTeX and
helped me get started.

I'm very, very happy with using LaTeX for writing. The usual reasons:
enforced structure, automatic adjustments when rearranging material,
embedded index entries, automatic generation of tables, the ability to
use version control, etc. Maintaining a 700+ page book with a zillion
cross references, index entries, and multiple indexes became a breeze. I
could concentrate on writing.

The only problem has been interaction with editors, and I am now senior
enough to insist that the editor edit my files directly. I'll get
him/her to use TexStudio or something similar to edit my files directly.
This will deal with the last problem: that of introduced errors through
transcribing editor's corrections.

I would abandon the book rather than go back to Word :-).

End of rant.

@ 2013-09-09  6:58             ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-09-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: David Rogers, emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> ... I am now senior enough to insist that the editor edit my files
> directly.

That single sentence really answers the question pretty effectively! The
whole explanation does make perfect sense, though.

I admit that the entire structure of the work-flow is not something I
really understand - it seems to have developed over time in response to
changing situations, and therefore has elements that one might not
choose if one were starting from scratch.

But (just throwing an additional idea out there) - the possibility of
having a considerable apparatus for yourself in Org-mode, and your final
step before sending to the editor being "export to plain text". (so that
your editor has bare plain text with no markup of any kind.)

--
David

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-09  7:14               ` Alan L Tyree
                                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-09-09  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

On 09/09/13 16:58, David Rogers wrote:
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ... I am now senior enough to insist that the editor edit my files
>> directly.
> That single sentence really answers the question pretty effectively! The
> whole explanation does make perfect sense, though.
>
> I admit that the entire structure of the work-flow is not something I
> really understand - it seems to have developed over time in response to
> changing situations, and therefore has elements that one might not
> choose if one were starting from scratch.

Sigh! Isn't that always the case? :-(.

> But (just throwing an additional idea out there) - the possibility of
> having a considerable apparatus for yourself in Org-mode, and your final
> step before sending to the editor being "export to plain text". (so that
> your editor has bare plain text with no markup of any kind.)

My real problem is that I don't know how to generate the multiple
indexes that I need if I use org mode. Everything else is easy. Any
potential solution that I see involves adding lots more markup, but if I
do that I might as well stick with LaTeX.

At least a lot of simple editors (the software) are LaTeX aware, so my
editor (the human being) should be able to handle it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-09  8:10                 ` Suvayu Ali
                                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:14:17PM +1000, Alan L Tyree wrote:

> My real problem is that I don't know how to generate the multiple indexes
> that I need if I use org mode. Everything else is easy. Any potential
> solution that I see involves adding lots more markup, but if I do that I
> might as well stick with LaTeX.

This is indeed a subtle problem.  I am having a hard time thinking of an
Org way of doing this without special markup.  It would have to be
auto-generated in someway.  So I have a somewhat non-technical
suggestion.  How about you give the LaTeX macros you use human readable
aliases.  The editors then might find it easier to edit LaTeX source
directly.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-09  9:41                 ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2013-09-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Alan L Tyree <alantyree-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> My real problem is that I don't know how to generate the multiple indexes that
> I need if I use org mode. Everything else is easy. Any potential solution that
> I see involves adding lots more markup, but if I do that I might as well stick
> with LaTeX.

I'm not sure that needs to be the case. I don't use org-mode for LaTeX
documents, but a bit of boiler-plate to generate the indexes shouldn't
be too tricky. A good starting point is the manual for biblatex oscola
package - which shows you to get your case, statute etc. tables with
relatively little effort.
<http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/biblatex-contrib/oscola/oscola.pdf>

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-09 18:56                 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-09-09 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan L Tyree writes:
> My real problem is that I don't know how to generate the multiple
> indexes that I need if I use org mode.

You'd likely have to use macros (one for each index) and have a filters
or derived backends sort things out.  Getting to something as elaborate
as the various index packages would take some time, though.

> Everything else is easy. Any potential solution that I see involves
> adding lots more markup, but if I do that I might as well stick with
> LaTeX.

If you've organized the LaTeX maybe by using your own style file, then
you could still use LaTeX as the backend and keep the actual editing in
Org.

> At least a lot of simple editors (the software) are LaTeX aware, so my
> editor (the human being) should be able to handle it.

I guess here's your point to stick with LaTeX: there's a good number of
editors that support LaTeX, but only one that suppports all of Org, so
this might be a hard sell in some places (especially those that want
book manuscripts in Word, shudder).

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-09 19:33                   ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-09-09 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:14:17PM +1000, Alan L Tyree wrote:
>>
>> My real problem is that I don't know how to generate the multiple indexes
>> that I need if I use org mode. Everything else is easy. Any potential
>> solution that I see involves adding lots more markup, but if I do that I
>> might as well stick with LaTeX.
>
> This is indeed a subtle problem.  I am having a hard time thinking of an
> Org way of doing this without special markup.  It would have to be
> auto-generated in someway.  So I have a somewhat non-technical
> suggestion.  How about you give the LaTeX macros you use human readable
> aliases.  The editors then might find it easier to edit LaTeX source
> directly.

Not a bad idea - that coupled with a LaTeX aware editor should help the
human editor get past the unfamiliarity.

Thanks!

--
Alan L Tyree           http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan
Tel:  04 2748 6206     sip:172385@iptel.org

* Re: Index of cases
@ 2013-09-09 19:41                   ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-09-09 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rudin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Rudin writes:

> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> My real problem is that I don't know how to generate the multiple indexes that
>> I need if I use org mode. Everything else is easy. Any potential solution that
>> I see involves adding lots more markup, but if I do that I might as well stick
>> with LaTeX.
>
> I'm not sure that needs to be the case. I don't use org-mode for LaTeX
> documents, but a bit of boiler-plate to generate the indexes shouldn't
> be too tricky. A good starting point is the manual for biblatex oscola
> package - which shows you to get your case, statute etc. tables with
> relatively little effort.
> <http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/biblatex-contrib/oscola/oscola.pdf>

Oscola is good and approaches the problem by maintaining a bibtex
database of cases. I maintain a plain text file of my cases and retrieve
them with a custom built function. I'm not sure that the resulting
markup in the manuscript is much more readable with Oscola, but I need
to look into it further.

Thanks for the tip.

--
Alan L Tyree           http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan
Tel:  04 2748 6206     sip:172385@iptel.org

* Re: Index of cases
                                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-09-10  0:40                 ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2013-09-10  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 9, 2013 3:14 AM, "Alan L Tyree" <alantyree@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> At least a lot of simple editors (the software) are LaTeX aware, so my
editor (the human being) should be able to handle it.

I don't know it well, but Lyx <http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/LyX> purports to
almost be LaTeX and almost be WYSIWYG, so that might be an editor to try
for those who will find markup scary.

HTH,

Brian vdB

* Re: Index of cases