* [BUG] org-publish does not obey org-footnote-section [9.6.1 ( @ /home/contrapunctus/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.1/)]
@ 2023-02-04  4:54 contrapunctus
From: contrapunctus @ 2023-02-04  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I have org-footnote-section set to nil in my init.el.

If I export through the HTML or Tufte backends, my footnotes are not exported in a different section. However, with org-publish-project and with org-publish-project-alist having a value like -

(("project" :base-directory "/foo/bar/"
            :publishing-directory "/foo/bar/"
            :recursive t
            :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-tufte-html))

...a section called Footnotes is created.

I have also tried setting org-footnote-section to nil in a .dir-locals.el, in the Org file itself as #+OPTION: org-footnote-section:nil, and as a property in org-publish-project-alist (:org-footnote-section nil)

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.36, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-01-18, modified by Debian
Package: Org mode version 9.6.1 ( @ /home/contrapunctus/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.1/)

* Re: [BUG] org-publish does not obey org-footnote-section [9.6.1 ( @ /home/contrapunctus/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.1/)]
@ 2023-02-04 10:51 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-04 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: contrapunctus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

contrapunctus <contrapunctus@disroot.org> writes:

> I have org-footnote-section set to nil in my init.el.
>
> If I export through the HTML or Tufte backends, my footnotes are not exported in a different section. However, with org-publish-project and with org-publish-project-alist having a value like -
>
> (("project" :base-directory "/foo/bar/"
>             :publishing-directory "/foo/bar/"
>             :recursive t
>             :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-tufte-html))
>
> ...a section called Footnotes is created.

What if you use the default publishing-function?
`org-html-publish-to-tufte-html' is not a part of Org.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] org-publish does not obey org-footnote-section [9.6.1 ( @ /home/contrapunctus/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.1/)]
@ 2023-02-04 13:44 ` Ihor Radchenko
       [not found]   ` <87sffleb2i.fsf@disroot.org>
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-04 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: contrapunctus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

contrapunctus <contrapunctus@disroot.org> writes:

> I have org-footnote-section set to nil in my init.el.
>
> If I export through the HTML or Tufte backends, my footnotes are not exported in a different section. However, with org-publish-project and with org-publish-project-alist having a value like -
>
> (("project" :base-directory "/foo/bar/"
>             :publishing-directory "/foo/bar/"
>             :recursive t
>             :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-tufte-html))
>
> ...a section called Footnotes is created.

Please provide more details about how to reproduce the issue.
May you attach a small example file and details steps demonstrating the
issue? See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

> ... #+OPTION: org-footnote-section:nil, and as a property in
> org-publish-project-alist (:org-footnote-section nil)

These two options will have no effect. org-footnote-section cannot be
set using OPTIONS and project alist. Just variable.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-02-04 15:04     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-04 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: contrapunctus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[ adding Org ML back to CC ]

contrapunctus <contrapunctus@disroot.org> writes:

> It seems it's not just org-publish, but the Org HTML exporter which does not obey org-footnote-section.
>
>> Please provide more details about how to reproduce the issue.
>> May you attach a small example file and details steps demonstrating the issue? See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> Steps -
> 1. emacs -q
> 2. (setq org-footnote-section nil)
> 3. Export the attached Org file to HTML buffer or file
>
> Observation - the HTML buffer/file has a "Footnotes" heading
>
> Expectation - there should be no "Footnotes" heading, and footnotes should be placed at the end of each section in the exported HTML, to be consistent with the behaviour of org-footnote-section.

Ok. I see what happens now.

Org behaves as expected. Setting org-footnote-section to nil only makes
export ignore existing "Footnotes" heading, if it is present in Org.

You don't have any in your example file, so Org ignores nothing.

Then, ox-html specifically exports footnotes into a separate section at
the end of the html document by its design. See
`org-html-footnotes-section'.

Not a bug.
Canceled.

--