* Feature request: Highlight the agenda line with the cursor on it
@ 2008-08-13  2:14 Robert Miesen
From: Robert Miesen @ 2008-08-13  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

    I've noticed that as I go through tasks listed in my agenda, it's
very easy to select and operate on the wrong task because it's too easy
to loose track of what task I am operating on. If the entire task line
entry were highlighted, it would be much easier to determine which task
was being operated on.

    Thanks in advance for considering my feature request.

* Re: Feature request: Highlight the agenda line with the cursor on it
@ 2008-08-13  2:36 ` Rob Weir
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rob Weir @ 2008-08-13  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 13 Aug 2008, Robert Miesen wrote:
> I've noticed that as I go through tasks listed in my agenda, it's
> very easy to select and operate on the wrong task because it's too
> easy to loose track of what task I am operating on. If the entire task
> line entry were highlighted, it would be much easier to determine
> which task was being operated on.

Not built-in, but:

,----
| (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook '(lambda () (hl-line-mode 1)))
`----

works quite well.

--
-rob

* Re: Re: Feature request: Highlight the agenda line with the cursor on it
@ 2008-08-13  4:51   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-08-13  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> ,----
> | (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook '(lambda () (hl-line-mode 1)))
> `----

Thats fantastic!

Thanks for the tip.

* Re: Feature request: Highlight the agenda line with the cursor on it
@ 2008-08-13 15:57   ` Dale Smith
From: Dale Smith @ 2008-08-13 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Weir; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Rob Weir" <rweir@ertius.org> writes:

> On 13 Aug 2008, Robert Miesen wrote:
>> I've noticed that as I go through tasks listed in my agenda, it's
>> very easy to select and operate on the wrong task because it's too
>> easy to loose track of what task I am operating on. If the entire task
>> line entry were highlighted, it would be much easier to determine
>> which task was being operated on.
>
> Not built-in, but:
>
> ,----
> | (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook '(lambda () (hl-line-mode 1)))
> `----
>
> works quite well.

Yes!  I've been needing this and didn't even know it!

When in an aganda buffer, the cursor is usually way over on the left
side.  To help me focus my eyes on the task/tags/etc, I (without
thinking) lean on my <right> key to move the cursor over.  What this
actually does is move forward by about 10 weeks or so. :(

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
dales@vxitech.com

(Company mandated disclaimer follows...)

This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18
U.S.C. 2510-2521.

This information is confidential and is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
disclosing it.

Thank you.

* Re: Feature request: Highlight the agenda line with the cursor on it
@ 2008-08-14  0:53   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-08-14  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Weir; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Rob Weir" <rweir@ertius.org> writes:

> On 13 Aug 2008, Robert Miesen wrote:
>> I've noticed that as I go through tasks listed in my agenda, it's
>> very easy to select and operate on the wrong task because it's too
>> easy to loose track of what task I am operating on. If the entire task
>> line entry were highlighted, it would be much easier to determine
>> which task was being operated on.
>
> Not built-in, but:
>
> ,----
> | (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook '(lambda () (hl-line-mode 1)))
> `----
>
> works quite well.

Thanks for sharing this!  I added it to my .emacs and it'll be useful
everyday for me!

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Feature request: Highlight the agenda line with the cursor on it
@ 2008-08-17  8:31     ` Clemence Magnien
From: Clemence Magnien @ 2008-08-17  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:57:13AM -0400, Dale Smith wrote:
> "Rob Weir" <rweir@ertius.org> writes:
>
> > On 13 Aug 2008, Robert Miesen wrote:
> >> I've noticed that as I go through tasks listed in my agenda, it's
> >> very easy to select and operate on the wrong task because it's too
> >> easy to loose track of what task I am operating on. If the entire task
> >> line entry were highlighted, it would be much easier to determine
> >> which task was being operated on.
> >
> > Not built-in, but:
> >
> > ,----
> > | (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook '(lambda () (hl-line-mode 1)))
> > `----
> >
> > works quite well.

This is great! :)

I had to tweak it a little bit in order to make it work under xemacs in tty
mode, however. This is my setup, in case it helps others:

;hl-line seems to be only for emacs
(require 'highline)
(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook '(lambda () (highline-mode 1)))

;highline-mode does not work straightaway in tty mode.
;I use a black background
(custom-set-faces
  '(highline-face ((((type tty) (class color)) (:background "white" :foreground "black")))))

Clémence