* org-agenda-category-filter-preset
@ 2013-11-15  9:26 Rene
From: Rene @ 2013-11-15  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Has anyone used org-agenda-category-filter-preset?

I can't seem to make this working.

Please provide me with some config example and tell me how to use it (which
key to use, etc.).

* Re: org-agenda-category-filter-preset
@ 2013-11-15  9:38 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-15  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rene,

Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

> Has anyone used org-agenda-category-filter-preset?
>
> I can't seem to make this working.
>
> Please provide me with some config example and tell me how to use it (which
> key to use, etc.).

Maybe show us your config and tell us what do you expect and what
do you get instead, that will surely be faster.

2 cents,

--
 Bastien

* How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-15 14:47   ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2013-11-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe show us your config and tell us what do you expect and what
> do you get instead, that will surely be faster.

You're right.

I basically have 2 org files (home.org and office.org) where my tasks and
appointments are stored.

Most of the time I like to have all those tasks and appointments displayed
in my agenda view (both office and home items).

But once in a while I'd like to dynamically narrow down my list of agenda
entries to either one of these files.  I tried to play with
org-agenda-filter-by-tag or org-agenda-filter-by-category but to no avail.

Is there some kind of "org-agenda-filter-by-file" piece of code somewhere?

--
rene

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-15 16:01     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-15 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rene,

Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

> But once in a while I'd like to dynamically narrow down my list of agenda
> entries to either one of these files.  I tried to play with
> org-agenda-filter-by-tag or org-agenda-filter-by-category but to no
> avail.

Use a #+CATEGORY: property on top of each file, then use < in the
agenda to filter by the category the cursor is on.

> Is there some kind of "org-agenda-filter-by-file" piece of code
> somewhere?

No, but you can have a category per file and filter per category,
which does the same.  Always, you can narrow down the scope of the
agenda *before* creating the agenda, with C-c a < [yourkey] -- the
< means to narrow down to the current buffer.

Hope this helps,

--
 Bastien

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-15 20:33       ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2013-11-15 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Rene <jlr_0 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > But once in a while I'd like to dynamically narrow down my list of agenda
> > entries to either one of these files.  I tried to play with
> > org-agenda-filter-by-tag or org-agenda-filter-by-category but to no
> > avail.
>
> Use a #+CATEGORY: property on top of each file, then use < in the
> agenda to filter by the category the cursor is on.

I do already have first level headlines each with its own CATEGORY in which
I refile my tasks.  Therefore the #+CATEGORY: property on top of the file
does not appear in the agenda view unfortunately.

> > Is there some kind of "org-agenda-filter-by-file" piece of code
> > somewhere?
>
> No, but you can have a category per file and filter per category,
> which does the same.  Always, you can narrow down the scope of the
> agenda *before* creating the agenda, with C-c a < [yourkey] -- the
> < means to narrow down to the current buffer.

It does work.  Thanks.

I'd have loved though to be able to switch from one view (home+office view)
to another (office view) without having to reconstruct the whole agenda.

--
rene

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-15 20:43         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'd have loved though to be able to switch from one view (home+office view)
> to another (office view) without having to reconstruct the whole
> agenda.

Maybe the `org-agenda-sticky' option can help there?

--
 Bastien

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-18 13:00           ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2013-11-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Rene <jlr_0 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I'd have loved though to be able to switch from one view (home+office view)
> > to another (office view) without having to reconstruct the whole
> > agenda.
>
> Maybe the `org-agenda-sticky' option can help there?

Well.  Not exactly.

Wouldn't I be able to work something out with org-agenda-category-filter-preset?

I don't know how to make this work though.

Is there some config example out there?

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-18 13:55             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-18 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Rene <jlr_0 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > I'd have loved though to be able to switch from one view (home+office view)
>> > to another (office view) without having to reconstruct the whole
>> > agenda.
>>
>> Maybe the `org-agenda-sticky' option can help there?
>
> Well.  Not exactly.
>
> Wouldn't I be able to work something out with org-agenda-category-filter-preset?
>
> I don't know how to make this work though.
>
> Is there some config example out there?

It's a little hard to know what's wrong with org-agenda-sticky, but a
tag-based way of doing this would be to use a #+FILETAGS: line at the
top of each of your files. That automatically adds any tag in that line
to the whole file, so you can de-facto filter by files.

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-18 16:19             ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2013-11-18 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Rene

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there some config example out there?

I think this simplified part of my config for
org-agenda-custom-commands is similar to what you are looking for:

    [...]
    ("c" "calendar c--"
     ((agenda
       ""
       ((org-agenda-files '("/<my_data>/notes_c.org"))))))
    ("d" "calendar cd-"
     ((agenda
       ""
       ((org-agenda-files '("/<my_data>/notes_c.org"
                            "/<my_data>/notes_d.org"))))))
    ("p" "calendar cdp"
     ((agenda
       ""
       ((org-agenda-files '("/<my_data>/notes_c.org"
                            "/<my_data>/notes_d.org"
                            "/<my_data>/notes_p.org"))))))
    [...]

Michael

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-18 20:11               ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2013-11-18 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I think this simplified part of my config for
> org-agenda-custom-commands is similar to what you are looking for:

Yes.  That's exactly what I did initially.

But I find it more elegant to build the agenda once (let's say for both
office and home) and then hit a key to filter/restrict the scope to just one
broad context (let's say office tasks and appointments), instead of
rebuilding the agenda all the time.

--
rene

* Re: How to filter on files
@ 2013-11-18 20:24               ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2013-11-18 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> It's a little hard to know what's wrong with org-agenda-sticky, but a
> tag-based way of doing this would be to use a #+FILETAGS: line at the
> top of each of your files. That automatically adds any tag in that line
> to the whole file, so you can de-facto filter by files.

I've tried this and it works.

In order to keep my predefined tags (defined with org-tag-alist) along with
the FILETAGS I just had to define them with org-tag-persistent-alist.

Unfortunately this prevents the fast-tag-selection from working when calling
org-capture.

Any idea on how to keep the fast-tag-selection mechanism?

--
rene