* Mininmal init.el on Worg for testing bleeding edge?
@ 2021-09-29  7:52 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2021-09-29  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On the page

  https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

after one has compiled and installed, Point 4 says

  This is where you configure Org-mode with Emacs. Please refer to Org tutorials.

I had to fiddle around a bit to get a minimal init.el that allowed me to
test a fix made in the Savannah repo.  Specifically rather than

  (let ((default-directory  "~/.emacs.d/lisp/"))
    (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))

I needed to do

  (let ((default-directory  "~/.emacs.d/lisp/"))
    (setq load-path
          (append
           (let ((load-path  (copy-sequence load-path))) ;; Shadow
             (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))
           load-path)))

to get the path for the version of Org I wanted to test at the front of
the load path (examples taken from
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LoadPath).

Would it be worth expanding Point 4 to something like

  This is where you configure Org-mode with Emacs. Please refer to Org
  tutorials.  To test a locally installed version the following minimal
  init.el will suffice:

    (let ((default-directory  "~/elisp/"))
      (setq load-path
            (append
             (let ((load-path  (copy-sequence load-path))) ;; Shadow
               (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))
             load-path)))

  Replace '~/elisp/' with the path in which you installed Org-mode.

?

Cheers,

Loris