* [O] Google Docs now supports MarkDown, but not Org syntax
@ 2022-03-30 13:56 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2022-03-30 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Google Docs now supports MarkDown, not Org syntax :(.

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2022/03/compose-with-markdown-in-google-docs-on.html

  -k.

* Re: Google Docs now supports MarkDown, but not Org syntax
@ 2022-05-05  0:41 ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-05-05  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Google Docs now supports MarkDown, not Org syntax :(.
>
> https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2022/03/compose-with-markdown-in-google-docs-on.html
>
>   -k.

There is a Free Software (AGPL3.0) alternative to Google Docs called
HedgeDoc.  We have used it a little bit (within Armbian project) and I
think it's pretty neat! [0]

From their web page:

> HedgeDoc
> The best platform to write and share markdown.
>
> HedgeDoc (formerly known as CodiMD) is an open-source, web-based,
> self-hosted, collaborative markdown editor.
>
> You can use it to easily collaborate on notes, graphs and even
> presentations in real-time. All you need to do is to share your
> note-link to your co-workers and they’re ready to go.

Of course it does not do everything that Google Docs does.  But for
common use-case of simple documents, it works quite well for
collaboration.

Unfortunately, HedgeDoc does not support Org Mode markdown, either.  But
at least, in this case, thanks to F/LOSS, the possibility exists (at
least in theory) to add it.

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] Even though I personally prefer Org over MD by quite a huge margin,
MD is what the Armbian project uses, so, 'when in Rome...'

* Re: Google Docs now supports MarkDown, but not Org syntax
@ 2022-06-11 12:48   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-06-11 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TRS-80; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> [2022-05-05 03:42]:
> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Google Docs now supports MarkDown, not Org syntax :(.
> >
> > https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2022/03/compose-with-markdown-in-google-docs-on.html

Google Docs is anyway proprietary Javascript software, it is not good
to drive users into it.

> There is a Free Software (AGPL3.0) alternative to Google Docs called
> HedgeDoc.  We have used it a little bit (within Armbian project) and I
> think it's pretty neat! [0]

I am just looking into:

HedgeDoc - The best platform to write and share markdown.
https://hedgedoc.org/

It is good for Markdown, but nothing similar to Google Docs, I can't
say it is alternative.

However, it would be good if HedgeDoc starts supporting Org mode, then
it would become very interesting. It is not hard really to support the
basics of Org. Can you do something about it?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Google Docs now supports MarkDown, but not Org syntax
@ 2022-06-18  6:46     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-18  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: TRS-80, emacs-orgmode

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> I am just looking into:
>
> HedgeDoc - The best platform to write and share markdown.
> https://hedgedoc.org/
>
> It is good for Markdown, but nothing similar to Google Docs, I can't
> say it is alternative.
>
> However, it would be good if HedgeDoc starts supporting Org mode, then
> it would become very interesting. It is not hard really to support the
> basics of Org. Can you do something about it?

We need to finalize syntax and get reliable external parsers.
You can help with syntax proofreading. See
https://orgmode.org/list/871r1g936z.fsf@gmail.com

Best,
Ihor