* ISSUE: dev documentation loading org, built from git
@ 2020-06-08 17:01 Anthony Carrico
From: Anthony Carrico @ 2020-06-08 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Recently, Bastien pointed me to org contribute documentation:

On 5/22/20 11:10 AM, Bastien wrote
> See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html on how to contribute.

And I found my way to:
  https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html

This document doesn't have a simple 5 step process at the top, but if I
recall correctly I did something like this:

$ make
$ emacs local.mk # edit this to set prefix
$ make
$ make install

And so I've built Version 9.4-dev locally, and now
~/share/emacs/site-lisp/org has the .el and .elc files. I've added

(push "/home/acarrico/share/site-lisp" load-path)

as the first thing in my init.el, but I'm unsure how to get this to
load. Currently an older version is running. I'm not even sure what kind
of artifact I'm looking for--an emacs package? list-packages shows:

org 9.3.6
org 9.1.9

--
Anthony Carrico

* Re: ISSUE: dev documentation loading org, built from git
@ 2020-06-09  3:18 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-06-09  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Carrico; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Anthony Carrico writes:

> Recently, Bastien pointed me to org contribute documentation:
>
> On 5/22/20 11:10 AM, Bastien wrote
>> See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html on how to contribute.
>
> And I found my way to:
>   https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html
>
> This document doesn't have a simple 5 step process at the top, but if I
> recall correctly I did something like this:
>
> $ make
> $ emacs local.mk # edit this to set prefix
> $ make
> $ make install

The repo's README points to the installation node in the manual.

    (info "(org)installation")

The "Using Org's git repository" section gets pretty close to a simple 5
step process.  Here's its snippet:

     $ cd ~/src/
     $ git clone https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
     $ cd org-mode/
     $ make autoloads

You could do other things (byte-compile the files, build the docs, or
anything else 'make help' lists), but, at this point, you're already at
a state you can run from.  The main thing left to do is to add
"path/to/org-mode/lisp/" to your load path, along with
"path/to/org-mode/contrib/lisp/" if you want it.  The above manual
section has an example add-to-list invocation, but...

> And so I've built Version 9.4-dev locally, and now
> ~/share/emacs/site-lisp/org has the .el and .elc files. I've added
>
> (push "/home/acarrico/share/site-lisp" load-path)

... that works too, though it looks like it should point one level
deeper to get to where the .el* files are.  And, as mentioned above, you
can just point directly to the Org repo, if you'd like.

> as the first thing in my init.el, but I'm unsure how to get this to
> load. Currently an older version is running. I'm not even sure what kind
> of artifact I'm looking for--an emacs package? list-packages shows:
>
> org 9.3.6
> org 9.1.9

This main thing is to have the newer Org's directory as the first
Org-related directory in the load-path before Org is loaded.  That's the
Org that will be loaded when visiting an Org file, calling an autoloaded
command, or with an explicit (require 'org).  If you run into issues,
list-load-path-shadows [1] can be useful for troubleshooting.

[1] mentioned at https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install