But, 1 + 1 should be 11. Joke aside, for Python, how you return the value depend of if you use a session or not. By default, a Python code block do not use a session. In this case, when executed, the code is wrapped into a Python function and then this function is called. So, to return a value, you need to use the "return" statement. With your example: src_python{return 1 + 1} When you use a session for your code block, the last statement value is returned if it is a top level expression. In this case, you do not use a "return" statement. Is it the article you have read on WORG ? https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-python.html The part you have quoted maybe miss a reference to the section who explain how the return mechanism work for values. Best regards ------- Gendre Sébastien Rudolf Adamkovič writes: > Today, I decided to start using Python in Org. > > (1) I read in "WORG": > > :results {output, value}: [...] Value results are the value of the > last expression evaluated in the code block. Value mode is the default > (as with other languages). > > (2) So, I try it, and get: > > src_python{1 + 1} {{{results(=None=)}}} > > I expected this to be 2. > > Questions: > > - Who is correct: (1) the documentation or (2) the implementation? > - If (2) is correct, do I have to write `return' every time? > > Rudy