Hi Daniel, Daniel Pittman writes: > G'day. I am a fan of `newline-and-indent', and turn it on for most of > the modes I routinely use, since it is almost always what I want done. > > org-mode rebinds the "return" key to `org-return', which acts > intelligently in the face of tables -- and calls `newline' hard-coded in > other cases. > > I would like to preserve that intelligence, but also to use > `newline-and-indent', so generated this patch to implement my desired > behaviour. I think having a new option is not the best solution. I would prefer to preserve the distinction between the two commands (RET and C-j). The patch below does this: define org-return-indent and bind it to C-j. Whether you want to bind it to RET is up to you.