* How to use texi2dvi for export to LaTeX?
@ 2012-08-16 19:43 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-08-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs org-mode

Hi,

I found http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.html and proceeded as described
there to set up texi2dvi for LaTeX export. I don't have the egrep bug mentioned,
so all I had to do was:

1) put this in ~/.emacs:
   (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process "texi2dvi -p %f"); use texi2dvi; see
   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.html
2) put this in ~/.profile:
   PDFLATEX="pdflatex --shell-escape"
   export PDFLATEX

texi2dvi is installed on my system (Ubuntu 12.04; Emacs 24; MacBook Air 4,1) and
works. However, if I export an org-mode file via 'C-c C-e p' to LaTeX, I obtain
an error. *Messages* shows:

,----
| call-interactively: Wrong type argument: listp, "texi2dvi -p %f"
`----

Why?

Something I'm wondering: Doesn't %f stand for the base file name with ending
.ps? Shouldn't it be texi2dvi -p %t? Trying this led to the same error, though.

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: How to use texi2dvi for export to LaTeX?
@ 2012-08-16 20:15 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-16 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marius Hofert writes:
> I found http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.html and proceeded as described
> there to set up texi2dvi for LaTeX export. I don't have the egrep bug mentioned,
> so all I had to do was:
>
> 1) put this in ~/.emacs:
>    (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process "texi2dvi -p %f"); use texi2dvi; see
>    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.html

This is missing a `'(…)´ around the string.  But you should rather use
customize to change that variable, which should be a list of strings
(just on in your case).  Org-latex needs to have been loaded before the
variable can be customized, however.

> 2) put this in ~/.profile:
>    PDFLATEX="pdflatex --shell-escape"
>    export PDFLATEX

You might not want to do this either.  The canonical way to set the
environment for a single command is to define it right there with the
invocation of the command.

 (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process "PDFLATEX=\"pdflatex --shell-escape\" texi2dvi -p %f")

Or if your system still had the locale bug even

 (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process "LC_ALL=C PDFLATEX=\"pdflatex --shell-escape\" texi2dvi -p %f")

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: How to use texi2dvi for export to LaTeX?
@ 2012-08-16 20:45   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-16 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Marius Hofert writes:
> > I found http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.html and proceeded as described
> > there to set up texi2dvi for LaTeX export. I don't have the egrep bug mentioned,
> > so all I had to do was:
> >
> > 1) put this in ~/.emacs:
> >    (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process "texi2dvi -p %f"); use texi2dvi; see
> >    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.html
>
> This is missing a `'(…)´ around the string.  But you should rather use
> customize to change that variable, which should be a list of strings
> (just on in your case).  Org-latex needs to have been loaded before the
> variable can be customized, however.

I fixed that on worg.

> > 2) put this in ~/.profile:
> >    PDFLATEX="pdflatex --shell-escape"
> >    export PDFLATEX
>
> You might not want to do this either.  The canonical way to set the
> environment for a single command is to define it right there with the
> invocation of the command.
>
>  (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process "PDFLATEX=\"pdflatex --shell-escape\" texi2dvi -p %f")
>
> Or if your system still had the locale bug even
>
>  (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process "LC_ALL=C PDFLATEX=\"pdflatex --shell-escape\" texi2dvi -p %f")

I added this comment to worg as well, but note that the setqs need the '(...) treatment.

Nick

@ 2012-08-16 20:54     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-16 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> I fixed that on worg.

Thanks.

> I added this comment to worg as well, but note that the setqs need the '(...) treatment.

Too much copy and paste... again it should be customized, not setq'd
anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: How to use texi2dvi for export to LaTeX?
@ 2012-08-16 22:49 ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-08-16 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs org-mode

Thanks for helping, Achim and Nick, exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Marius