* Executable not found error with begin_src R but not begin_src R :session on Windows
@ 2013-04-09  1:32 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-09  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 8.0-pre and have never had an issue with R source code blocks
before. I was just trying something simple like:

#+begin_src R :exports results

a <- 1+2

#+end_src

I got empty #+results block upon execution and the *Org Babel Error*
(something like that) buffer had an error about the executable not
being found. Adding =:session= produced results, though.

Is there something new about the difference between execution with and
without sessions with R?

John

* Re: Executable not found error with begin_src R but not begin_src R :session on Windows
@ 2013-04-09  1:53 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-09  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On 8.0-pre and have never had an issue with R source code blocks
> before. I was just trying something simple like:
>
> #+begin_src R :exports results
>
> a <- 1+2
>
> #+end_src
>
> I got empty #+results block upon execution and the *Org Babel Error*
> (something like that) buffer had an error about the executable not
> being found. Adding =:session= produced results, though.
>
> Is there something new about the difference between execution with and
> without sessions with R?

I'm able to execute R code on 8.0-pre with or without a session.
Perhaps your `org-babel-R-command' variable doesn't point to R, or maybe
you have a broken install?

If this problem persists please send an error trace (with
`debug-on-error' set to t).

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Executable not found error with begin_src R but not begin_src R :session on Windows
@ 2013-04-09 23:02   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-09 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 8.0-pre and have never had an issue with R source code blocks
>> before. I was just trying something simple like:
>>
>> #+begin_src R :exports results
>>
>> a <- 1+2
>>
>> #+end_src
>>
>> I got empty #+results block upon execution and the *Org Babel Error*
>> (something like that) buffer had an error about the executable not
>> being found. Adding =:session= produced results, though.
>>
>> Is there something new about the difference between execution with and
>> without sessions with R?
>>

> I'm able to execute R code on 8.0-pre with or without a session.
> Perhaps your `org-babel-R-command' variable doesn't point to R, or maybe
> you have a broken install?

Grr. Apparently R updated on it's own somehow and I missed it. My
org-babel-R-command was pointing to ../2.15.0/bin/ instead of
/2.15.1/bin/.

Updating this fixed the issue.

Is there a better way to set this vs. having to manually update the path?

Thanks,
John

@ 2013-04-10  2:53     ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2013-04-10  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com>
wrote:
> > John Hendy <jw.hendy <at> gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> Grr. Apparently R updated on it's own somehow and I missed it. My
> org-babel-R-command was pointing to ../2.15.0/bin/ instead of
> /2.15.1/bin/.
>
> Updating this fixed the issue.
>
> Is there a better way to set this vs. having to manually update the path?

Given the dependence of ob-R.el on ESS, the ESS list might be a better venue
for this query.

The recent release of R-3.0.0 has tripped up some Windows ESS users:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general/7071

According to the ESS devs, you should not have to hard code paths
in theory, but see [1].

HTH,

Chuck

[1] “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are
not.” Einstein.

* Re: Executable not found error with begin_src R but not begin_src R :session on Windows
@ 2013-04-10  4:06   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-10  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 8.0-pre and have never had an issue with R source code blocks
>> before. I was just trying something simple like:
>>
>> #+begin_src R :exports results
>>
>> a <- 1+2
>>
>> #+end_src
>>
>> I got empty #+results block upon execution and the *Org Babel Error*
>> (something like that) buffer had an error about the executable not
>> being found. Adding =:session= produced results, though.
>>
>> Is there something new about the difference between execution with and
>> without sessions with R?
>>

> I'm able to execute R code on 8.0-pre with or without a session.
> Perhaps your `org-babel-R-command' variable doesn't point to R, or maybe
> you have a broken install?
>
> If this problem persists please send an error trace (with
> `debug-on-error' set to t).

But wait. If my issue was pointing to the wrong directory, I don't get
why :session vs. not would make a difference?

This is the exact error I get:

'R' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

How does :session find R if it's not in Windows path and seems to
depend on explicitly being told where to look via org-babel-R-command?

John

@ 2013-04-10  4:17       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-04-10  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: Org Mode