From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: what would cause failure in template for org capture?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:37:20 +1000	[thread overview]

> On Wednesday, 21 Jul 2021 at 18:23, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> So edebug fixed it? Good :-)
>
> Well, it fixed it until I started Emacs again (which I don't do often,
> luckily, as it's my window manager).  So, to get org-capture to work
> again, I need to instrument the function and then it works.  I have no
> idea how to debug this when it works just fine when instrumented.

Hi Eric,

from an earlier thread, I recall you mentioned you were using native
compilation? This is almost certainly the cause of your problem.

From your description, I suspect that the compiled version of your code
is not complete and not loading correctly. This is why the problem is
solved when you try to use edebug on it as instrumenting the function
will result in the uncompiled *.el files being loaded. My advice would
be not to use native compilation. Native compilation is probably a good
advance for Emacs, but I think it is at least 18 months away from being
ready for prime time.

When running native compilation support, I found
- Absolutely no performance improvement
- Large packages with complex dependencies did not build correctly
- The native compilation caching scheme was unreliable and inconsistent

I would try re-building without native compilation and re-install org to
see if that fixes your problem.

Tim