For the platform-independence, I think it would depend on the tool used. PageFind precompiler release, on their Github, is available for x86_64 GNU/Linux, Apple Darwin and Windows and aarch64 GNU/Linux and Apple Darwin. But if we use a search indexer written in interpreted language, as long as the interpreter is available, we can run it. Ihor Radchenko writes: > Sébastien Gendre writes: > >> If we use PageFind, isn't possible to not include it with org-mode but >> have an Elisp function that download it ? Like what Elpy do with its Python >> dependencies ? > > It may be possible - Emacs already downloads tree-sitter grammars, for > example. But can you do it platform-independently, so that things keep > working on Windows, Linux, Guix, DOS (yes, Emacs still supports DOS), > what not?