A good better alternative would be, to allow for refiling to arbitrary Org-files. 1. `M-x org-refile-to' 2. Minibuffer prompt: Find file: ~/ 3. Navigate to an *.org file (restrict TAB completion to *.org) 4. RET 5. Org-mode scanns the file and offers the targets as usual. 6. Add the file to the list of refile targets. Which would mean to add just one simple function to Org-mode. I'd prefer this simple interface over the directory aproach. In emacs, the directory aproach is not needed, since we have the history (UP) for quickly find a second file in the same directory. Please choose the interface you like most, say `yes, we want it', and I'll sit down and hack together a proposal. Sebastian